CO2 tank leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian231

Reaction score
I have a 5lb aluminum tank that has developed a leak at the shutoff valve when I turn it on. It keeps leaking even when I turn the valve as far open as it will go.

How does one repair this problem? (Obviously after waiting for the tank to be empty.)

Sounds like it's leaking around the packing in the valve stem. You might need to replace the entire valve, I'm not sure. You can bring it into a welding shop or gas supply, maybe they can check it out for you? Or just swap the tank out for another one...

Sounds like it's leaking around the packing in the valve stem. You might need to replace the entire valve, I'm not sure. You can bring it into a welding shop or gas supply, maybe they can check it out for you? Or just swap the tank out for another one...

Probably just easier to swap the tank. :)

Yeah, that's a worn out or loose stem packing, or possibly a bent valve stem. You could try to tighten the valve stem nut a bit when the valve is closed. Be careful, OK!

Is this a brand new or a swapped tank? In either case I'd take it back.
If it's your tank and you get it filled, time to swap it out.

It's my tank and I normally just refill it. I don't plan on touching anything until its empty. Where do you guys normally exchange tanks? Do they typically have aluminum tanks to exchange for?

I know this might sound stupid but are you 100% sure it is the shutoff valve. I have seen cases where the valve is thought to be defective as it feels like CO2 is coming out of it but it was actually leaking out of the regulator or regulator stem and flowing back towards the tank vale and up. Soapy water might help double check.

I know this might sound stupid but are you 100% sure it is the shutoff valve. I have seen cases where the valve is thought to be defective as it feels like CO2 is coming out of it but it was actually leaking out of the regulator or regulator stem and flowing back towards the tank vale and up. Soapy water might help double check.

+1^ Soapy water...

And check that valve stem nut. It should not be loose. Don't (!) take it out, just make sure it is tightly screwed in.

Also check that washer between tank and regulator.

Back