CO2 Scrubbing - can it be done on cold, carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an IPA that is cold and carbonated. It has a sulfur smell to it. The smell is not super strong. Normally I'd just let it age and dissipate. However I want to be able to drink this beer tomorrow and Sunday for a trip I'm going on.

I've read how to do the CO2 scrubbing but the instructions were using a room temperature uncarbonated beer. Will this still work on cold carbonated beer?

So I just read where someone was able to get rid of the sulfur smell by just purging the head space 5 or 6 times. I'll try this first but still would like to know if CO2 scrubbing would work on cold, carbonated beer.

Seems like a plan. However I'd think letting the beer warm a little from its current temp and gas off as much as possible before putting it on CO2 again the thing to do if in a hurry, which it seems you are.

Otherwise, let it warm up to your fermentation temp for a few days and give the yeast time to take care of things they might not have had time to do if you just kegged it as soon as you hit your FG.

Back