Co2 ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Pete799

Reaction score
I am trying to get a kegging set up. The cheapest co2 tank i could find was $86 filled for a 5lb. However I do have a few 24oz paintball tanks. Is there some way to hook them up to a regulator and use them instead of a 5lb tank. Thanks in advance for the great information.

OP
P

Pete799

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the great info. My local gas distributor said it would be impossible. I think it is because he really wanted to sell me a 5lb tank.

malkore

Reaction score
Except the reality is that its still cheaper to get the 5lb cylinder.

you have to find and assemble a regulator that'll hookup to a paintball tank. 5lb cylinders and 20oz tanks are two completely different connections.

Then, smaller tanks have to be filled by the right kinds of places...i.e. paintball stores. I used to play, and the price I paid was about half of a 5lb CO2 fill. So within a few kegs, you'll have to refill your cylinder, vs about 10 kegs off a 5lb.

If you have a big budget, paintball setups are great for taking kegs to parties (more efficient than the CO2 chargers that use 12-16gram bulbs), but if you want to run 2-3 kegs at a time, you want a 5lb tank (at least).

abracadabra

Reaction score
I agree with Malkore. If your budget is unlimited a paintball tank is great for road trips. Althought I prefer a standard 2.5 lb. tank.

I started to go the paint ball route once I did the math a standard CO2 tank made more sense.

If I could get a 5 lb. tank filled for $6 like jcb317 I'd go that route but it cost me $18 to get a 5 lb. tank filled down here but I can get a 10 lb. tank exchanged for $12.