CO2 Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinFam

Reaction score
This regulator shows as if it's a CO2 Regulator but it doesn't fit my CO2 bottles. It has the wrong fitting to connect to my bottles, are there different kinds of CO2 regulators?
IMG_20220922_174008_770.jpg
IMG_20220922_174142_071.jpg

I've never seen any of those. Not suitable for beer, that's for sure.

From what it looks it's some sort of secondary regulator.
Input up to 25 psi, output adjustable from 0-1 psi.

A regular CO2 regulator for beer would have an input of up to 2000 psi (from the high pressure liquid tank).
Output 0-30 or 0-60 psi for the kegs, etc.
And have a CGA 320 connector to the tank.

I've never seen any of those. Not suitable for beer, that's for sure.

From what it looks it's some sort of secondary regulator.
Input up to 25 psi, output adjustable from 0-1 psi.

A regular CO2 regulator for beer would have an input of up to 2000 psi (from the high pressure liquid tank).
Output 0-30 or 0-60 psi for the kegs, etc.
And have a CGA 320 connector to the tank.
So basically junk, lol

welding regulator, it regulates flow 'CFM RATE' not psi...at least that would be my guess. not sure why the nut wouldn't fit your co2 tank? do you have a pic of that as well?

doing the conversion assuming 1MPa is 145 psi...that's a weird guage alright.....
Indeed.
The top of that scale at 25 MPa would correlate with 3625 psi, almost 2x the primary pressure of a typical primary CO2 tank gauge used in brewing, which goes to 2000 psi.

welding regulator, it regulates flow 'CFM RATE' not psi...at least that would be my guess. not sure why the nut wouldn't fit your co2 tank? do you have a pic of that as well?
Nut is the second picture, I just pulled it back to show the fitting on the end.

It was giving to me for free to see if I could use it, but looks like it's junk.

i'd still like to know what it's for as a conclusion to the thread! :mug:

(you're probably one of the cool kids with a spiffy 'smart' phone....is there an app you can translate the text to english with?)

ok that helps and makes sense for the dials....when would you have co2 hot enoug that it was ideally between 1500psi, and 2300 psi....and need a reg to reduce it to 55-88psi? could this be a refrigerant thing?

now i just need to find what kind of tank it's supposed to hook up too? all the argon/co2 welding mix tanks have a female nozzel, ditto for hellium mixes....

It was giving to me for free to see if I could use it, but looks like it's junk.
It could be used if you had to, but adjustments for beer use would be clunky.

If you can replace the (high pressure) tank connection shaft/nut that goes into the regulator head with a standard CGA 320 one it will fit a standard CO2 tank.

The high pressure dial gauge is just an indication of the tank's pressure/fill level, usually around 1000-1200 psi (6.9-8.2 MPa on your gauge). But that high pressure gauge is rather meaningless when the tank is mostly liquid CO2 with some gas on top, and typical pressure remains in that narrow range until most of the liquid is gone and you're literally running on fumes. IOW, when the tank only or mostly contains pressurized gas (not much or no liquid left at all) the gauge will start to drop and pretty fast. Be ready for a refill or tank swap in the near future.

On the low pressure side the gauge indicates your reduced pressure set by how far you turn the regulator knob.
For beer, serving or carbonating, you'd be running it at 10-20 psi ([EDIT] 0.07-0.14 MPa). Remember, 0.1 MPa = 14.5 psi.
The lowest number on the scale in 0.2 MPa, so you'd be operating it in the small space on the left bottom, between 0 and 0.2 MPa at the most.
So that's a very, very narrow range to adjust pressure.

IOW, you'd be dialing in your pressure between 2 of the (thin) subdivisions on that gauge between 0 and 0.2 MPa, the space of 1/4 of an inch at the most.

Last edited:
could change the low pressure gauge.
That will help, yes.
But it doesn't change the fact that the smallest turn of the regulator knob changes the pressure relatively much. IOW, it will still be very touchy to set the pressure anywhere between 10 and 20 psi, possibly less than a quarter turn.

That will help, yes.
But it doesn't change the fact that the smallest turn of the regulator knob changes the pressure relatively much. IOW, it will still be very touchy to set the pressure anywhere between 10 and 20 psi, possibly less than a quarter turn.
Good point that, need the touch of a safe cracker to adjust it.

I don't know what it's intended purpose is but if it functions as poorly as a Chinese Co2 regulator that came with a cheep kegerator that I obtained, it is junk. I have the same gauge body. It has odd ball thread patterns for the components that do not interchange with American made regulators. Notice the Chinese markings stamped on it. I have a nitrogen rig that looks very similar. The difference is the coupler on yours is female threads and a nitrogen regulators coupling is male threads. Hopefully you didn't lay out cash for it.

all i needed! got it, only $30 about for one, here it is...

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Regulator-Reducer-Dioxide-Welding/dp/B07HRP9KSX

(now i have to look into what people actually use co2 in wleding for, and if it heated for some reason?)
CO2, argon and helium are used as shielding gases. They are flooded into the immediate area of the arc and provide a “sterile” environment for the welding puddle to prevent porosity and impurities. It protects the weld like the slag from a stick welder. CO2 and argon are used in different mixes for MIG welding depending on material being welded and the wire being used. Pure argon is used for TIG welding. They aren’t used for heating or cutting.

Last edited:
Back