CO2 Regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinrmclean

Reaction score
I've got a taprite 5261 SN. It is a secondary regulator. I bought it off Ebay not knowing quite what I was getting. My question is, can I use this as a primary regulator if I were to get the correct fitting from the tank to the regulator, or will the full pressure be too much for this regulator?

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers and Fair Winds,
Kevin

No, few secondaries can handle more than 150 psi for an input. Mine are 100 psi max.

My secondaries are labeled for 1800 psi(and they are labeled as secondaries) just like my primary so if your's has a label anywhere see what it says.

I believe secondary regs typically use right-hand threads for the high-pressure ports, whereas primary regs usually use left-hand threads. If that's truly the case, it might be hard (or impossible) to find a tank-to-regulator fitting with the right threads for your regulator.

Talked to Tap Rite today. They said it would be no problem. ALso picked up an adapter from the welding shop. Oh God, I'm gonna be kegging soon!!!

Looks like they are defining primary/secondary based on whether the regulator connects to the tank via a short pipe or wall mounts using a hose, not by inlet pressure.

Back