CO2 regulator pressure relief

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
Just kegged for the 1st time tonight.

The problem is that when I turn on the gas at the cylinder the pressure relief valve on the regulator blows co2 out (a lot). So, I shut off the co2 at the cylinder.

-Is the new regulator broken?
-Did the Fire Extinguisher shop put too much pressure in the cylinder when I got it filled?
-Am I a complete noob (don't answer that one!)

I am able to pressurize the keg but then I have to turn the co2 back off.

Picture of the system that I bought:

S57.JPG

Thanks!

How much pressure are you trying to put in the keg? Did you adjust the knob on the front of the regulator (turn it all the way out, turn the gas on, the start turning it in until the needle rises to the pressure you want.)

Did you try pulling the pressure release valve to make sure it springs back to the seated position?

How much pressure are you trying to put in the keg?

I was trying to force carb at 30psi but the gauge was going higher (50psi) when I would shut off the cylinder valve.

Did you adjust the knob on the front of the regulator (turn it all the way out, turn the gas on, the start turning it in until the needle rises to the pressure you want.)

I am not sure. This regulator has a outer ring that looks like you could turn it with a wrench but it turns by hand. The inner ring threads in and out (or is that a lock... or a cap?)

When I tried to adjust the outer ring knob (left) I would feel co2 escaping around the knob... I think.

Did you try pulling the pressure release valve to make sure it springs back to the seated position?

Yes. That seemed to help this morning but the pressure was still going up to 50psi when I would shut off the valve.

I think I was mostly scared by the noise it was making.... I didn't want to blow myself up.

Sounds like a faulty relief valve or too much downstream pressure. Are you sure the gas is coming out if it and not a seal somewhere?

That silver metal round knob is the downstream pressure adjuster. If it is set very high, then the relief valve could go off telling you that the keg is getting too much pressure as a safety feature. IIRC, turning the knob clockwise turns the pressure down.

I was trying to force carb at 30psi but the gauge was going higher (50psi) when I would shut off the cylinder valve.
remove the ball lock from the keg before you go to set the regulator pressure. if gas is still flowing into the keg, the gauge will not read accurately. you probably cranked the regulator above the pressure where the safety valve opens, and so it opened. 50-60 psi is a common pressure release valve value.

Thanks! I'm good now. I had a few problems...

1) pressure relief was not seated
2) I thought loosening the valve opened it up, but right turns the gas up
3) the outer ring of the regulator needed tightened, I was opening that on accident.

I went and picked up 3 stainless faucets and shanks on the way home from work!
But I'll save that for another thread.

If the pressure always wants to go up to 50 PSI then you have a bad regulator. The picture tells me that it's a cheap Chinese regulator - I'd have whomever you bought it from replace the regulator because you won't find parts.

it works fine now.

The issue where is was going to 50psi was that I had it wide open to the right while turning on the co2.

My mistake. But you are right this is the cheapest regulator that William's Brewing sells. Even still to go from bottling to three beers on tap is running over $600 so far and the chest freezer was free! I had to cut some corners.

oh, how i wish chi was a better company. their selection of items is huge, prices are OK (or maybe even "good"), but their service and shipping are just plain terrible.

though maybe if you live 10 minutes away from them, you will get your items in less than a month or two....

Ive went thru two kegs fine with the regulator i have but when i hooked up the new keg turned the co2 on the pressure relief valve goes. The psi keeps climbing is this also a regulator problem. Its only a couple months old igloo kegerator.

Back