CO2 Regulator Losing Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettrae

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to kegging, only on my second batch, so keep that in mind. A few days ago, I kegged a dark mild ale and set it in my keezer at 40 degrees F, with the regulator set to 10 psi. It stays for a few hours, but I will come back to check it, and the gage will be set 4-5 psi below 10. I will then crank it back up to 10, it will hold, and the process repeats itself. The regulator is from Northern Brewer. Has anybody else had this experience? Any ideas if it's natural, or how to fix it? I used soapy water to check for leaks and found none. Thanks!

Has the gas been connected all the time? If not, and you kegged it warm, the co2 in the headspace is absorbed over time as the beer cools.

It might also be a leak. I'd check all the connections, at the gas-flask side, keg side, everything, with spraying som star-san on every connection. It bubbles if you have a leak.

Yes, the gas has been connected all the time, but I did take it straight from the fermenter, where it was at 68 degrees into the keg, which is set to 40 degrees. Maybe it will settle out as it cools?

The pressure out of your regulator should be stable, even if the beer absorbs gas, and it's been connected all the time. I'd check for a leak just to have that done. You can also weigh you gas-flask to see if you're losing more gas than reasonable.

Back