CO2 Regulator Leaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanme123

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am very new to this kegerator thing and I just had my system set up today. I have a taprite regulator right now with 1 tap on a 5lb . This is the one with the big red knob. When I got this 5lb tank filled, it was at the lower end of the green "full" range. However, just after 6 hours of installing the system, the regulator shows that the tank has reached half way through the CO2. I feel that this is way too fast for the CO2 to be used up. We poured no more than a few beers during this time.

When I checked it, there's a hissing sound within the regulator. It seems like the sound is coming from the red knob between the two meters area. Is this supposed to have a sound? I have checked my connection with my CO2 and lines and they seem to be secured (with tools). There were no sound coming from those areas too.

The sound stops when I turn the red knob to close. However, it doesn't stop if the red knob is turned to the right (open) and even if the lever on the regulator is closed.

My question is, is this a faulty regulator? I don't want to keep on refilling this tank like this because the only place I could find is 15 miles away with heavy traffic during the day.. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I used a rag with soupy water and tried all the connections, I did not see any leaks on the entire regulator (back side included). However, I looked at the regulator meter again and it shows a much higher reading now. It if near the Green "full" area now, but still 2 clicks under it. This was much better than before where it was near the Red area. Might this have been the cold temperature causing the reading to be low? I have no idea what is going on.

Temp change will cause the needle to change. PV=nrT :). Be sure to check your keg for leaks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a similar setup, and I find the gasket between the tank and the regulator wears out fairly quickly as that's where you are changing things. But since this is new it should be good for at least a while.

You may not be getting to the leak if it is under the knob with soapy water, if there is a leak.

In any case, you shouldn't hear any hissing sound once the system settles into equilibrium.

I find that the fill level meter is not particularly accurate. It'll be in the green, then suddenly go down with the temp, go up again when I let it warm up, and then BOOM, empty. There isn't any in between. I've gotten 4 corny kegs with my latest tank so far, so there isn't anything wrong with my system.

I just woke up and the tank is empty. The gas sound mustve been a leak I assume. What should I do now??

Back