Co2 Regulator/ Leak confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamHops

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 20lb Co2 tank with a very old regulator that I believe is totally out of calibration. I have still managed to make it work and carb everything up really well over the past year. I have my kegs and Co2 system set up and have not had any leak problems whatsoever.

I left for vacation over a week ago and before I left I checked the gauge on the regulator, it has not changed a bit. When I came back from vacation I went to pour myself a draft and nothing came out. Regulator showed no pressure and kegs had lost almost all pressure. I tried tightening and adjusting the regulator but it shows no movement. I picked up the co2 tank to see if it felt empty but it really confused me because it is still absolutely heavy. It feels like it is still quite full.

Could my regulator have broken and somehow kept the co2 from leaking out of the tank? Does anyone know what may be the problem? Thanks in advance!

- Remove the POS regulator
- Weigh the cylinder
- Find the TARE weight stamped somewhere on the crown of the cylinder
- Compare the weight with the TARE
If they're virtually equal, you have an empty cylinder
If the weight it appreciably greater than the TARE, you still have a POS regulator

- Buy a respectable regulator and attach same (make sure there's a gasket of some kind in between regulator stem and tank valve)
- Get back to us...

Cheers!

Back