Co2 Regulator issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srbrown911

Reaction score
So I'm fairly new to kegging my beer (on my third time). I have yet to have any major problems except for now. I kegged my beer on Tuesday. I set it at about 30psi which I usually leave there for a day or two and then turn it down to about 10-12 to set and forget for a week or two (I always sneak tastes until its about right). Anyways now that I am trying to turn it down to about 10 it just keeps going up to between 20 and 30psi no matter what I do. I am first releasing all of the pressure in the keg and I will have the pressure knob all the way unscrewed to begin with. I will then slowly turn the knob clockwise until the pressure on the dial reads 5 psi. After about 10 minutes it rises all the way to 20 or 30. I don't know what's going on. The past two times I kegged I would turn the knob until it reached 10-12 and it would just stay there. Why does the pressure keep going up :drunk:??? Its a new regulator too, got it at Midwest Brewing and its on it's third use so I don't think it would be bad yet.

Is it one of those that you have to pull the cap out to adjust the pressure setting? Do you have any check valves?

When you pressurize to30 PSI then back down to 12 psi do you relieve the pressure in the keg first? if not and you do not have a check valve you could have gotten liquid in your regulator. Sometimes cleaning it can help but usually a rebuild kit is required. If it is a Taprite they have kits for a decent price. This of course can happen if the beer is really full and close to the gas tube.

Always remember to remove gas line before reducing pressure.

So I'm fairly new to kegging my beer (on my third time). I have yet to have any major problems except for now. I kegged my beer on Tuesday. I set it at about 30psi which I usually leave there for a day or two and then turn it down to about 10-12 to set and forget for a week or two (I always sneak tastes until its about right). Anyways now that I am trying to turn it down to about 10 it just keeps going up to between 20 and 30psi no matter what I do. I am first releasing all of the pressure in the keg and I will have the pressure knob all the way unscrewed to begin with. I will then slowly turn the knob clockwise until the pressure on the dial reads 5 psi. After about 10 minutes it rises all the way to 20 or 30. I don't know what's going on. The past two times I kegged I would turn the knob until it reached 10-12 and it would just stay there. Why does the pressure keep going up :drunk:??? Its a new regulator too, got it at Midwest Brewing and its on it's third use so I don't think it would be bad yet.
Just relieving the head pressure will not drop the overall pressure as CO2 will continue to come out of solution to refill head pressure. Next time don't leave it at 30 psi as the beer will continue to absorb CO2 as it cools

The regulator came with this kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-single-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html I have been releasing the pressure in the keg by pulling the keyring on the keg first. I have not been disconnecting the ball lock gas connector though so that could be causing some problems. I'm not sure if it has a check valve or not.

On the bright side I've been messing with it and seem to have it under control now. Its set on 10 now and is slowly rising to around 12-13 after about it an hour. Hopefully it slows down even more and stops so I can actually forget about it.

Just relieving the head pressure will not drop the overall pressure as CO2 will continue to come out of solution to refill head pressure. Next time don't leave it at 30 psi as the beer will continue to absorb CO2 as it cools

So I'm guessing I could have overpressurized it and now I have to wait for it to equalize? Maybe just setting it on 10-12 for a few weeks will be better next time?

Looking at the picture there is no check valve. So just like I said you could have back streamed and that is why the gauge is not working correctly. Always relieve pressure before turning the regulator down.

I cold crash 24hrs, 30-35psi for 24hrs, relieve pressure then regulate to 12psi and let is sit for a few days and it is usually drinkable but after 7 total it is best.

So I'm guessing I could have overpressurized it and now I have to wait for it to equalize? Maybe just setting it on 10-12 for a few weeks will be better next time?

Yes, I use 30psi to set the seal and purge the O2 leave it for about 5 minutes then chill for 12-24 hours. Hook up to gas for 2-3 weeks then it's ready no purging required

Back