Co2 regulator do I need one right away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MhOpNEIL

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer yesterday. I want to keg it, I got a great deal on 4-5 gallon kegs and a co2 tank. Unfortunately it didn’t come with a regulator. Will I be ok with out one for a little bit. Also I don’t have a place to keep the keg cold any good ideas I cold cheaply keep it cold. Thanks for any and all input.

You need a regulator to carbonate the beer, unless you want to carbonate at a few hundred PSI... As for keeping the keg cold - no need once you get CO2 pressure on it.

You can carbonate the beer without a regulator, you just treat it like a big bottle and use priming sugar. To serve it, you will need a regulator.

You would still want to flush out the O2 with some CO2 before priming in the keg.

Anyways, I imagine it is impossible to hook a CO2 tank to a keg without a regulator. Even if you could, not a good idea.

Regulators start at $50-60. You will need one.

Get a good one (not an 'el cheapo') like a Taprite and you won't regret it. Look to vendors like Keg Connection for really good prices on the regulators too.

I do have to wonder where you picked up pretty much everything except the regulator from. Make sure you have 3/16" ID lines for beer and good lines for the gas too. IMO, Oetiker clamps are the only way to secure the hoses to parts. Worm clamps, while appearing to be good/convenient, are a PITA to get to seal properly, don't clamp all the way around the hose, and will slice you faster than you'll ever believe. Not to mention worm clamps cost far more, per unit, than the Oetiker clamps.

Golddiggie said:
Get a good one (not an 'el cheapo') like a Taprite and you won't regret it. Look to vendors like Keg Connection for really good prices on the regulators too.

I do have to wonder where you picked up pretty much everything except the regulator from. Make sure you have 3/16" ID lines for beer and good lines for the gas too. IMO, Oetiker clamps are the only way to secure the hoses to parts. Worm clamps, while appearing to be good/convenient, are a PITA to get to seal properly, don't clamp all the way around the hose, and will slice you faster than you'll ever believe. Not to mention worm clamps cost far more, per unit, than the Oetiker clamps.

I grabbed a whole brew kit for $175 at a yard sale. Buckets, carboy, turkey fryer, 20# co2 tank, 4-5gallon kegs and some other odds and ends.

I grabbed a whole brew kit for $175 at a yard sale. Buckets, carboy, turkey fryer, 20# co2 tank, 4-5gallon kegs and some other odds and ends.

Make sure the CO2 tank is still within it's hydro stamp date. Otherwise you won't be able to get it filled without either exchanging it, or paying to get the test done.

Latest posts

Back