CO2 refills in North Dallas area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
Since there was a CO2 refill thread for New Jersey, I thought I'd ask around for North Dallas area, Plano, Frisco, Richardson, Addison, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, etc.

Since I can't seem to find an old beat up cheap 20lb cylinder locally, I'm considering buying a new aluminum 20lb tank from Beverage Factory for $115 total including shipping. If I buy a new cylinder, I'm going to want to have it refilled rather than exchanged.

I'd really rather do an exchange if the initial bottle price was considerably less than new tank price. I checked HD where I bought my huge 170cf C25 welding cylinder for $230. They want $194 for a 20lb CO2, exchanges for $18. That initial price for the 20lb bottle is nuts.

I only know of two places in Dallas that refill CO2. Hopefully someone will pipe in with more. They are Park It Market on Greenville and University. Take your tank in cold or be prepared to wait while they chill it. The other place is Bacon Fire Extinguisher. They are on Beckley in Oak Cliff. Park It Market charges 17 for a 5 lb fill which I think is pretty expensive.

I found another one. This one sounds good.

Koetter Fire Protection. 10351 Olympic Drive in Dallas, zip 75220. That's down near Harry Hines and Lombardy, just north of Northwest Highway.

I spoke to someone in the warehouse there and he said a 20 lb CO2 refill is $15.90 plus tax, they refill your bottle as long as it has a valid hydro test date. They do it while you wait. If your cylinder needs a new hydro test, you have to leave it with them overnight.

And another: Airgas, several locations. I spoke to someone at the Garland Airgas store. They only do exchanges. They'll sell you a 20 lb bottle for $140 or you can bring in your own empty bottle and they will exchange it for a filled one with a hydro date as close to yours as possible. The exchange price is $25 for a 20 lb bottle.

Koetter definitely sounds better.

Got my 20lb bottle from MicroMatic yesterday. Man, a 20 pounder is a pretty big bottle, definitely needs to be outside the Keezer I plan to build eventually. I'll be taking it to Koetter for a fill before long.

I found another one. This one sounds good.

Koetter Fire Protection. 10351 Olympic Drive in Dallas, zip 75220. That's down near Harry Hines and Lombardy, just north of Northwest Highway.

I spoke to someone in the warehouse there and he said a 20 lb CO2 refill is $15.90 plus tax, they refill your bottle as long as it has a valid hydro test date. They do it while you wait. If your cylinder needs a new hydro test, you have to leave it with them overnight.

And another: Airgas, several locations. I spoke to someone at the Garland Airgas store. They only do exchanges. They'll sell you a 20 lb bottle for $140 or you can bring in your own empty bottle and they will exchange it for a filled one with a hydro date as close to yours as possible. The exchange price is $25 for a 20 lb bottle.

Koetter definitely sounds better.
I will give Koetter a call tomorrow about their price on a 5# and their hours. Thanks for finding them.

koetterfire are great people. The ones in the front office are not the ones to speak too though.

If you go, call ahead to be sure one of the guys is working the back and just pull around there. Don't bother to go in the front door.

Might want to bring cash as it makes it easier I think. He had to walk my credit card up front to do the purchase.

Another option once you get your tank is to swap at local home depot stores that carry gas.

$13 for 10 lb
$18 for 20 lb swap.

Since I bought a new cylinder, I'll fill not swap. I'm thinking I might by a 5lb for a spare though so that I have some gas on hand whenever the 20lb runs out.

I went to Koetter Fire Protection yesterday to get my tank filled. Tax and all it was $17.95 for a 20lb fill. It was fast and easy. Like MixnMatchBrew said, don't bother going in the front. Just circle around back and pull up to the loading doc.

Highly recommended. I'll get my fills there from now on.

I realize these posts are more than a year old, but I'm grateful for the tip about Koetter. I got my first fill at Parkit Market, and thought it was a bit light. When I got home and weighed the tank, they had only added one pound of CO2 (to a 5 lb tank). For that they charged me $16 plus change. I went to Koetter today--they gave me a full 5 lb fill for $10 plus change. I supposed that Parkit Market assumes the light fill will bring customers back sooner, but they've lost my business permanently.

As someone else mentioned, don't bother going in the front door at Koetter. Drive around back by the loading dock and go in the door. They'll have you in and out quickly.

I'm in the same boat - live in McKinney and just got a fridge conversion kit. To keep things compact, I went with a 2.5# tank and hope to get a pony keg setup for the weekend.

Reading these reviews I know to stay away from the ParkIt market. Anyone had luck getting refills up north here?

glad to have found this thread just now.

i think i am about to venture into my first keg beer...

thanks for the info about koetter

I got my 2.5# tank filled at GOS Welding Supply in Garland:

GOS Welding Supply
300 Lavon Drive
Garland, TX 75040

It's close to my office (GB/Jupiter) and was fast service. Only bummer was they charged me the same amount as a 5# tank refill, which is their minimum charge of $15.68. Total w/tax was $16.97. Asked if he could give me my 2nd refill for a discount and said no... he said he probably 'blows out' the same amount in CO2 in filling my 2.5#. No big deal, I'm not going to cry about it with them being somewhat close to the office - but if someone knows of a place who will fill it for cheaper around the same Garland/Richardson/Plano/Allen/McKinney area I'm all ears.

I'm hoping this 2.5# tank will last a good 3-4 1/2 kegs; I read it takes approx .5# of CO2 per 1/2 keg. Now the last piece of the puzzle... who here recommends which store for purchasing kegs where you don't lose your deposit when you keep the keg for 2-4 months?

Good to know because I'm in Oak Cliff. I thought the fills were low at parkit market but how could I tell? I guess weigh before and after, if I want to know for sure. I also found a place after a lot of searching that will fill beergas (nitro blend) for smaller tanks, called
Airgas Southwest
2621 Joe Field Road,
Dallas, TX 75229
I'd like to dispense my latest stout through my guinness tap and use nitrogen to get the pressure up to do the job.
-Ben

Now the last piece of the puzzle... who here recommends which store for purchasing kegs where you don't lose your deposit when you keep the keg for 2-4 months?

You talking about the deposit on a 15.5 gallon 1/2 barrel keg? I didn't know you ever lost your deposit after some period of time, but I've never bought a keg of beer before. I can't believe you'd lose your deposit. That's nuts. What's the incentive to return the keg?

You must also know that the empty keg is worth more than the $30 deposit that Parkit Market charges.

BTW
Parkit Market, whether they give good/cheap/accurate fills is unknown, I have done 20lb swaps and 2.5lb fills for years, but never checked. I seemed to run low on co2 all the time but I recently discovered regulator leaks. Also note that they fill tanks on SUndAys so that's service! Bring your fill tank in damn near frozen, swap tanks (10 and 20lbs) do not matter.
They do have good keg selection and service, ask for Mike, he's the keg guy. The deposit situation is favorable for kegerator owners.
PARKIT MARKET-Drop On In!:::Home Page

Another good keg supplier is Kegs and Barrels, for those of you up north, 2 locations in Plano and one in Mckinney, their keg prices are around 10% cheaper then Parkit Market and they have a keg club, 10th keg is free (based on avg price of 9 kegs). It's a drive for me but the thought of a free keg and the slightly lower price has me.
Kegs & Barrels - Beer, Wine, Ale, Wine and Beer Tastings,Kegs,Dallas,Plano,McKinney

Both places have detailed lists of available kegs on line.
-Ben

A few hours and I'm done! I turned the largest side-by-side refrigerator (28+ cubic sqft) I've ever seen (Maytag) into part kegerator, part fridge - and a full freezer, with room under the homemade shelf for more soda or whatever. Thanks to beveragefactory.com for all the parts, GOS welding supply in Garland for the CO2, and KegsAndBarrels.com (off 15th/Custer in Plano) for the keg of Shiner.

My baby...

http://picasaweb.google.com/TexasZ.com/Kegerator#5245650972889661570
http://picasaweb.google.com/TexasZ.com/Kegerator#5245651015616502898
http://picasaweb.google.com/TexasZ.com/Kegerator#5245651067742643346
http://picasaweb.google.com/TexasZ.com/Kegerator#5245651118304281346

Anyone have any recommendations for my setup based on their own experience? I do need to get a dispensor lock - my 2 and 5 year old boys are curious!

Looks good, I'm just starting the conversion on my Oster this weekend. I'm going to hit up the paintball stores around here to see if they'll feel up my 5lb'er.

Another success story from Koetter Fire in Dallas. Went around to the back, which is really a different street and I was in and out in less that 15 mins...

thanks for the tip... :mug:

Yet another happy Koetter customer.

Took my 20# craigslist bottle to K, they hydro'ed ($14) it over night and filled it ($15.90) for me.

I think they are open M-F, and they appear to have several locations in Texas.

Koetter Fire Protection
10351 Olympic Dr
Dallas, Tx 75220

what about funky town?
ftWorthFlag.gif

Answered my own question.

$10 and 10 minutes away :) can't really find a better deal than that.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18890207-two-bucks-beverage-center-fort-worth

I also realize that this post is a year old; however I noticed that the original question was for places to refill in the N Dallas area. I live in McKinney Koetter and ParkItMarkt are pretty far. I did some digging and found Ferguson Welding (locations in Frisco and McKinney) will fill a 20lbs tank for $29.95 (not cheap) or $85.00 for a tank with an out of date hyrdo test. The Home Depot (the McKinney store on Custer) has a tool rental dept and will refill for $22.50. I told them that my tank was out of date. They said no problem. Which is great because I found a tank on Craigslist for $20.00.

T-Bone, did you check with Ferguson on smaller tank refill prices? I've got an empty 5lb tank here (in McKinney) that I am looking to fill. Seems a shame to trade my shiny new CO2 tank in.

T-Bone, did you check with Ferguson on smaller tank refill prices? I've got an empty 5lb tank here (in McKinney) that I am looking to fill. Seems a shame to trade my shiny new CO2 tank in.

I am in Mckinney as well and asked these guys the same question. They can refill a 5lb for you however they cant check/guarantee that it will be a full 5lb. If you are comfortable with that, then yeah you can keep your shiny new one. Otherwise you have to just give it up. I shed a tear for mine however the few exchanges I've done the tanks have been in real good condition

I am in Mckinney as well and asked these guys the same question. They can refill a 5lb for you however they cant check/guarantee that it will be a full 5lb. If you are comfortable with that, then yeah you can keep your shiny new one. Otherwise you have to just give it up. I shed a tear for mine however the few exchanges I've done the tanks have been in real good condition

Thanks, maybe i'll just do tank exchange. Where do you do exchanges up here? Koetter and park it mark it seem like long drives.

Thanks, maybe i'll just do tank exchange. Where do you do exchanges up here? Koetter and park it mark it seem like long drives.

Its right off Eldorado and HWY 5. Next to Quiktrip. Real good guys, even open on Saturday until noon, just in case you blow through some Co2 on a Friday partying

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=18107927242811226887&q=ferguson+industrial+gas+mckinney&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=vCYRTKupF4nejAOlwbj7Ag&sig2=bUSMF726V_bNZ4jbKlLmuw

I just found another place in McKinney: Collin County Fire Equipment 315 N McDonald, Mckinney, TX 75069. Its 2 miles North on 5 from Ferguson. They do CO2 exchanges 20lb for $25 (extra $19 if Hydro is out of date) and 5lb. for $12.50 ($19 if Hydro is out of date). Only $5 cheaper for 20lb fill; however my cheap $20 craigslist tank needs a Hydro test Frerguson wanted $85 total. CCFE is $44. I'm going check these guys out today or tomorrow. I let you know how it goes. BTW - Home Depot exchange is a bust unless you have one of their brand tanks. Plus the tanks are female threaded (I know there is an adapter).

Koetter is right around the corner from my office. When you run out I wouldn't have a problem bringing with me and getting it filled at lunch or something. Hate to see you trade a brand new tank in! Hopefully soon, I will have one so I could fill them both at the same time.

Its right off Eldorado and HWY 5. Next to Quiktrip. Real good guys, even open on Saturday until noon, just in case you blow through some Co2 on a Friday partying

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=18107927242811226887&q=ferguson+industrial+gas+mckinney&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=vCYRTKupF4nejAOlwbj7Ag&sig2=bUSMF726V_bNZ4jbKlLmuw

I'm confused. This looks like ferguson. Why do they not feel they can check filll level of a 5lb refill, but they are a good choice for exchanges? What did i misunderstand?

I'm confused. This looks like ferguson. Why do they not feel they can check filll level of a 5lb refill, but they are a good choice for exchanges? What did i misunderstand?

It is ferguson, just pointing out the maps.

As i understood it the 5lb tanks they have come from somewhere else. They have the capability to fill but not for 5lb tanks. I'm not sure why as they can accurately fill 2.5lb and 10lb and higher.

I appreciated his honesty but I didn't press him on the issues as to why. I've exchanged 3 tanks there and have hit about the targets for pressurizing and serving amounts.

I just found another place in McKinney: Collin County Fire Equipment 315 N McDonald, Mckinney, TX 75069. Its 2 miles North on 5 from Ferguson. They do CO2 exchanges 20lb for $25 (extra $19 if Hydro is out of date) and 5lb. for $12.50 ($19 if Hydro is out of date). Only $5 cheaper for 20lb fill; however my cheap $20 craigslist tank needs a Hydro test Frerguson wanted $85 total. CCFE is $44. I'm going check these guys out today or tomorrow. I let you know how it goes. BTW - Home Depot exchange is a bust unless you have one of their brand tanks. Plus the tanks are female threaded (I know there is an adapter).

Man that is a great deal. May have to visit theses guys

My tank is a new 5lb aluminum tank from kegconnection. I don't see a stamp (in ink) anywhere that looks like a hydro test date. I assume with no stamp, I'll need to pay for a hydro test. Should I expect a new tank to have a hydro stamp? Do new tanks typically need a hydro test on first fill, or are they tested at manufacture?

I dropped off my tank at CCFE tonight. I was quoted $12 for a refill. They just pick up the tanks in McKinney and haul them to Dennison for refill. Thus, the refill is not instant and will require parting with the tank for a few days. Since this is a new (empty) tank and I have no kegs filled yet, I don't see this as an immediate problem. I'm realizing now, though, that I didn't even get a receipt or pick-up ticket (didn't pay anything) for my tank, so that is a little odd.

-- Update 6-17-10 --
Got my tank back today. $12.99 after tax for a 5lb refill. It took 6 calendar days to get the tank back. The guy who filled the tank called to tell me it was full and then gave me a price of $20-something (the price included a hydro test). When I mentioned my tank was new, he checked his notes on the tank, agreed it didn't need hydro, and corrected the price to a CO2 fill-only price. He said they would not have performed hydro on it due to the 2008 manufacture date. I'd rate the overall experience "meh". As long as the phantom hydro charge was an honest mistake and not a mode of business for them, and you can live without your tank for several days, i suppose it is a decent option for tank refills in McKinney area. I think I'll look for an on-the-spot refill place for my next refill, though.

Talked to the Ferguson McKinney location to ask about refilling my new 10lb cylinder. He said they would be happy to fill it there, but same story, can't guarantee how much it will fill. I asked about this and he told me they would just hook it up to a 50 pounder and wait until it quit. This means as soon as the pressures equalize, you're done. So at least he's honest about it.

He also says they send these out to the Frisco location that has a pumper. This means they can fill the cylinder to proper capacity. Said it would be $24.
Also said you may have to leave it with them even in Frisco.

Frisco location is downtown ( close to my work anyway).

Back