co2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
On my ball lock kegs, I will occasionally get a co2 leak at the gray qd where the co2 leaks out the bottom of the qd around the post. Of course, it can suck my 20 lb tank dry overnight or faster. Sometimes, I can reseat the qd and the leak will go away. Sometimes not. Sometimes it will start leaking when nothing has apparently changed. The only other place I've experienced leaks is at the lid seal but I haven't had one of those since I started really "gooping" up the seal (messy but effective).

Anyone dealt with this before. I was thinking I could change all the post orings. Thanks!

Yeah the o-ring seals are so cheap they're almost free, keep a bunch on hand and change them frequently, and lubricate them with keg lube so they seal right.

When I rework a used keg, I add all 5 O-rings, Lid (1), ball lock outer gas (1) and ball lock outer liquid (1) and the inner seals on the liquid dip tube (1) and short gas tube (1). I also replace the pressure relief valve on the lid. Total of listed parts is around $9 which is far less than a 20# refill.

Plenty of keg lube, but don't forget to replace that inner gas tube O ring and lube that one. I bought a 7/8 wrench at Lowes with a 16 point closed end that works well for any ball lock post I've run into. Even the ones with the multi-point star pattern. I would change every seal w/o hesitation based on your leaks.

Supply stores like Keg Connection sell packs of O ring kits with the 5 rings I listed in a set.

Also, don't discount the ball lock connector itself may be leaking. Gas is hard to tell....liquid easy. Beer spurts all over the place!

Back