CO2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
So this is posted on CL and not sure if this will work. It is off a Tig Welder, the guy says it is full and I can get tank and guages for 80usd. Thanks

2012-04-309508.32.40.jpg

2012-04-309508.34.27.jpg

the hydro test date is like : RV 03 29 YCM

Anyone knows what that means?

5 lb tanks go for around $50 here, brand new, and you can get a regulator for $60, so it's only saving you $30- plus that tank may need to be recertified depending on it's age, which would run you another $10.

Not a screaming deal.

If you do get it, make sure you know what is in it before you use it on your kegs. If it was used for welding, there is a strong possibility that it is a blend such as co2/ argon, or any number of possibilities. I cannot read the tag on the bottle in the picture. It should be labeled but you never know.

Also, the valve on that tank is not a regular valve like you would see on a c02 tank. Regular co2 tanks usually have male threads, that one has female threads like you would see on a nitrogen tank or some other higher pressure tank. I doubt that it has straight co2 in it.

The guy is telling me it is about two feet, so I'am not sure on the size. If it is a ten then the price of the co2 is about 40usd here in town just for the gas. Just not sure about the color of that tank, like SCS posted the threads are wrong and I have to agree with all of those things it is not a stand alone CO2 tank. For some reason I think they color code those tanks for different gases. I am just not sure.

Ok the guy just got back to me the sticker says "non-flammable CO2"

Gear101 said:
Ok the guy just got back to me the sticker says "non-flammable CO2"

You can buy those stickers online. We do a bunch of welding at my work and 99.9% of the time, we use a co2/argon blend. They are brown bottles with different threads than a standard co2 bottle.

Never put argon in your beer! Farts could be explosive! LoL

If the other two tanks have the proper valve (threads) for the regulator, they should work.

Back