CO2 quality difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartlesj

Reaction score
Are there different "grades" of CO2? I work in an industrial setting where we have our own fire protection systems. We have the capability to refill the portable CO2 fire extinguisher bottles. The label just states CO2. The fittings work. It's free... (well, probably would cost me a 6 pack or 2) It's not an hour drive one way....

Is there a difference between industrial or fire fighting CO2 and the food industry CO2?

Are there different "grades" of CO2? I work in an industrial setting where we have our own fire protection systems. We have the capability to refill the portable CO2 fire extinguisher bottles. The label just states CO2. The fittings work. It's free... (well, probably would cost me a 6 pack or 2) It's not an hour drive one way....

Is there a difference between industrial or fire fighting CO2 and the food industry CO2?

Nope. Lot of rumors about it though. You'll get the most definitive answer by calling multiple places that refill co2 and ask them yourself. Ask them what grade the local bars and restaurants use for CO2. While some places may have different grades, it's more of a marketing scheme. The CO2 comes from the same source.

I sure hope not. I've been refilling mine at the local fire extinguisher place and haven't even considered the possibility of different grades.

awesome, thanks for the info. that makes my life a tadd bit easier.

awesome, thanks for the info. that makes my life a tadd bit easier.

What do the people you work with say? I would think someone would know. I had finally got sick of getting mixed info (and nothing specific) online. I called 4 local places and 3 flat out said there is no difference. One place in Ann Arbor said they had medical grade and industrial grade, but all the local bars and restaurants go with the industrial grade. My buddy had been going there for 6 months paying more for medical grade just because it sounded like it would be better. I think that's what happens to a lot of people.

Back