CO2 Pressure ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will affect the guage showing how much is left in the tank (usually it reads lower than what it is), but it shouldn't affect the amount of CO2 you're putting on the beer.

Professor Frink said:
It will affect the guage showing how much is left in the tank (usually it reads lower than what it is), but it shouldn't affect the amount of CO2 you're putting on the beer.

I think this is correct. I started using S/S liquid filled guages. The cheap ones rust :(

Professor Frink said:
It will affect the guage showing how much is left in the tank (usually it reads lower than what it is)
The gauge NEVER shows how much is left in the tank, refrigerated or not, except when it's practically empty. The tank pressure doesn't tell you much of anything, because it remains constant at a given temperature until there is no more liquid CO2 in the tank, at which point the tank is very close to empty. Thus, the high pressure gauge isn't good for much other than a last-minute warning to refill it.

Professor Frink said:
...but it shouldn't affect the amount of CO2 you're putting on the beer.

Actually, it will affect how much CO2 you are applying to the beer in that at a colder temp it takes less pressure to dissolve volumes of CO2 into solution from what I understand.

But no, on a double guage regulator, the gauge displaying CO2 amount in the tank will read lower (400-600) but if you take it out and let it warm up it will raise back up to 800-1000

Funkenjäger said:
The gauge NEVER shows how much is left in the tank, refrigerated or not, except when it's practically empty. The tank pressure doesn't tell you much of anything, because it remains constant at a given temperature until there is no more liquid CO2 in the tank, at which point the tank is very close to empty. Thus, the high pressure gauge isn't good for much other than a last-minute warning to refill it.

Yeah thanks for telling me this now that I've got a really cool Western Enterprises regulator. :)

home_22.gif
westernreb4fg.gif

Seriously, of all the home brew stuff I've bought... their CO2 regulator has to be the coolest product I've gotten...besides yeast if you count that :ban:

So, if you are applying CO2 to force carb should you use what the gauge reads when it's in the fridge as opposed to when it's outside? My gauge fluctuates up about two points when I transfer it from my living room into my fridge.

I guess the secondary pressure would move just a bit between temps based on temp effects on the regulator spring. Cold makes the spring a little more rigid, pushing on the needle valve a little harder, making the secondary pressure rise..

In any case, I think the question had to do with the high pressure side (the gauge reading tank pressure) which changes a LOT more between temps and has absolutely ZERO effect on the secondary pressure hitting the kegs.

Funkenjäger said:
How's it different from a typical 2-gauge regulator? (not trying to be a dick, just wondering)

Well most of the regulators they sell in LHBS seem to be cheaply made. This regulator is made out of brass, and can be rebuilt if it has any problems. It also has a knob on it to regulate the CO2 instead of needing to use a wrench.

Basically it's just a heavy duty regulator which hopefully will last a lifetime.

Here is the spec sheet on it: http://www.westernenterprises.com/enterprises/PDFS/wi3.pdf

Back