CO2 Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fococlimber

Reaction score
What should I set it to? Just got a kegerator and just filled up for the first time, What do I set the outgoing pressure to? :mug::drunk:

Lots and lots and lots of threads on this.. if you are carbonating a new keg, temp and style are big factors in picking a pressure. I am lazy and typically go for 12psi and let it sit for a week. Thats usually about the way we like it for most styles. I do have a second tank/regulator for when I want a higher or lower carb level on a beer.

should have one sticky.. i couldn't find one. I searched co2 pressure, buncha different ones but thanks!

Not sure if you want to carbonate the beer or if you already have carbonated beer. But it can be just the same if you opt for the "set it and forget it" method of carbonating. Ultimately, it depends on the temperature of the beer and how much carbonation you want. For example, if the beer is at 38F and you want 2.2 volumes of CO2 (appropriate for an American Pale Ale), then you set the pressure to ~8.5 PSI. But that might cause a lot of foam if you have a short beer line. So that's why you use the beer line to reduce that pressure so that you get a nice pour. And there are a lot of variables to take into account (such as height difference of the keg to the tap). Many people just use 10 feet of beer line and call it a day.

Go to the kegging/bottling section. There is a sticky there with links about kegging. Read up on the balanced pressure, things that make a difference are hose length, tap type, hose rise, and beer temperature.

This is a handy table to have:

CARBONATION.png

alright so i need your helps, I can not get this beer to stop foaming, i have 5ft of hose for the beer, im sitting at 37deg and 3psi and I am foaming like crazy! and yes i poured well over 3 pitchers of foam, and still FOAM! whats the deal? no kinks or pinches!

There are many potential issues here too. The ID of your beverage line needs to be 3/16" ID for that short of a run. 6-8' helps increase restriction. Keeping the tubing neat and coiled with minimum up-down helps. The keg may have excessive pressure and you may need to bleed off excess (it does not decrease when you lower the regulator, it should have a check valve). I wold turn off the gas, bleed the keg fully, turn the pressure knob back, turn on the gas and slowly bring it up to 12. If you have had high pressure on the keg for a day or more, and or moved it around a lot while under higher pressure, it could be overcarbed. Is the keg cold enough for the pressure you have set?
many variables, check each one.
cheers

Could also be that your lines are warmer than the keg. In that case, CO2 will come out of solution and cause foaming even if your lines are long enough and you pressure is set low.

im at 37deg, the tubes are inside the kegerator, and I have bled the pressure already but I will try bringing it slowly back up! thanks! ill let you know what happens!

How did you carbonate it? How many days at what pressure and temp? If it is overcarbed, then it'll foam. If you recently shook it a bunch, it'll foam too.

5' isnt enough? yeah not homebrew, but will be soon.

My system is balanced so I can set it and forget it to force carb. I also have my kegerator at 42, so it requires higher pressures to hit my desired volumes of CO2. I don't turn my regulator down to serve, so I end up needing over 10' of beer line.... sometimes more if it is a highly carbed beer.

Back