Co2/Nitro Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Therealhowie

Reaction score
Good afternoon. Can you use bottles interchangeably between CO2 and Nitro? I have 2 bottles but the one I would like to use as CO2 is currently showing Nitrogen and vice versa (10 Lb bottle (nitrogen) vs 5 lb bottle (co2)). Trying to avoid buying a larger CO2 tank.

thanks

I wouldn't think you could. The fittings are different to begin with so you would have to replace the valve or maybe just the connection.

When I was looking for a nitrogen regulator, sometimes nitrogen tanks pop up. I bet you could sell the nitro tank for more than a used CO2 tank. Most nitro tanks I saw were on the expensive side.

You could also maybe try trading it to Airgas for a CO2 tank. If it is an actual beer gas tank, nitrogen and CO2 mixed, you could likely easily find a brewer to trade to. Nitrogen and Beer gas use the same threaded connection but CO2 is different.

I didn't have any luck asking at Airgas to trade up a size of CO2 even when offering the difference either but if one is there regularly it doesn't hurt to ask. I'll mention that my Airgas doesn't regularly stock 10 lb CO2 but if you have two tanks probably would be a minor issue to keep in mind.

Back