Co2 Leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamoman

Reaction score
i got a new dual tap kegarator and i have a leak somewhere. i took the co2 canister, daul gage and the 2 used korny kegs and submerged them in the bath tub under pressure and saw no leaks...replaced the rings in the used kegs, replaced the hose clamps with metal ones over the plastic ones that came with the kit...any ideas are appriecated thx in advance

What makes you think you have a leak...and have you checked your hoses

Are you using food grade grease on all the o-rings and the lid?

ahhh no im not, but i will in a few mins, thx for the heads up....also called the folks i ordered the kegarator from and he said most leaks are at the bottle or gages.....he said it would be ok to dunk the whole thing in the tub to look for leaks...the other thing i didnt do was turn the pressure up to 30ish lbs and look for leaks....i think i had it on 10ish....thx again

get a spray bottle and fill with soapy water, spray all of your connections and hose connections.. It will bubble at the leaks

Mine was leaking at the connection of the CO2 hose to the tank. It had a cheap plastic washer

There should be a crush washer, or delrin washer where your c02 regulator connects to your tank. I one time hooked my my regulator up without it and got a leak roughly the speed of the one you described. Other then that the above suggestions should go a long way to helping you find the leak. I'd use the soapy water method over submerging your whole C02 tank, and I don't have any technical reason for saying that , but I am under the impression that tilting a C02 tank on it's side while in use is not a good thing. (again, I have absolutely no technical proof, this is merely what I've come to believe over the years-maybe someone else can give you technical information as to why I'm right or wrong about this?)

Are the gauges water proof? I know the part that actually measures the pressure is, but is the glass that protects the needle?

Are you using food grade grease on all the o-rings and the lid?

well i broke it all down and coated all o-rings with the grease re-connected all but the taps...pressured it up to 30lbs and sprayed it all down with soapy water...no leaks :rockin: i also have learned that once the co2 tank cools down the gauge goes down too...when i did all this today with the kegs and co2 tank outside the frig, the co2 reading it went back up a good bit, may have went up more but i packed them all back in the frig. thx for all the help

Back