CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KartRacer54

Reaction score
I have been chasing a co2 leak on my kegerator for months now.
I had the system in storage for a year after moving to new home.
As last resort I have taken the distribution manifold and all gas lines and submerged them resulting in no leaks.
I built a spunding test setup to check keg leaks. I found 1 pressure release leak and pulled it out of the system.
This is a 6 tap setup but only running 5 kegs.
I charge the lines and kegs by turning on co2 and then turning off bottle. The system holds pressure for a day or 2 but then drops to zero.
should I be able to maintain pressure indefinitely or is some loss inevitable.?
Soap testing fittings shows no leak and new orings are on all post.
All thoughts are welcome
Thanks in advance.

have you checked the regulator? pressurize, close the system AND tank....?i've had regulators go leaky on me a few times, usually after 5 years...

Honestly I’m so lost on what I’ve done I need to start over. I will check the regulator again. Thanks

co2 leaks are a beeach.....if only they made a super sensitive co2 monitor you could wave over everything! :mug: (off to google to see if they do! ;))

edit: maybe find a affordable one? be way better then a ineffective bubble test, i would think....now i want one, damn it! :mug:

https://www.forensicsdetectors.com/...HY_wCknU6NyaUm1_HGcC2p4EiVqnYHXhoCJ7wQAvD_BwE
i could SOOOO see myself waving something like that over my kegs everytime i hook a new one up!

Last edited:
Some loss is inevitable but it seems yours is going too fast indeed. I think you're on the right track just have to cut most of it out temporarily and add a piece back at a time. Whatever you run to first be sure it's bullet proof so you can focus on the regulator and gauges and such before anything else.

Ball lock and pin lock kegs are high on the list of possible leak sources. You might try putting pressure on each keg then stand them on their heads in a sink of water...

Cheers!

Found old style pin lock static prv leaking. No parts seem to be available so I will just have to bite the bullet and replace lids a couple at a time.

Unfortunately these and shipping cost brings us within a few dollars of newer generation lids.
Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately these and shipping cost brings us within a few dollars of newer generation lids.

Agreed that's the best option. Didn't see them at CHI either, just the newer style.

If you don't already have them it's a good time to get a few extra keg parts like poppets, O-rings for maybe the posts or tubes, things like that. Nice to have a few backups on hand.

One quick thing to check because it's often overlooked. Most disconnects have a cap. The cap should have a thin rubber gasket and must be tightened with a screwdriver.

Like any troubleshooting, isolation is key. Add one thing at a time, to the extent that is possible. Monitor your CO2 usage by weighing the CO2 cylinder. Relying on the gauge is next to useless. By the time the primary pressure drops, the cylinder is already nearly empty. Start with just the cylinder and regulator. Close the valve to your hose, assuming that your regulator has one. Open the tank valve, then shut it off. The pressure shouldn't drop for at least several minutes.

Last edited:
Back