CO2 Leak at Top Handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkw1000

Reaction score
I recently turned the handle on my C02 tank to force carbonate a beer homebrew keg and I felt and heard gas coming out of the 5lb CO2 tank at the handle. I also noticed the plastic handle can loosely lift up and down maybe an 1/8” giving me the impression something is loose. I don’t know if I just need to tighten the top nut or if something else is happening. If tightening is it, does turning right tighten? I’m hesitant to mess with it not knowing how to fix it and risk the top blowing off and injuring myself. It only leaks when turning knob to open. Once I close it, it stops leaking under the handle. Tank is about 3 years old.

fwiw, as a rule, cga320 cylinder valves should always be run at the "stops" - either fully closed, or fully opened - as the gaskets at the ends of travel are more reliable than the stem packing.

This sounds like a stem packing gone bad. It can be fixed by replacing the valve assembly once the cylinder contents have been exhausted...

Cheers!

Back