CO2 in Portland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For swapping I would go to Airgas. There are at least 2 locations I have been to. One is on 82nd near Foster and the other is near Bridgeport Village. They usually run about $17.

If you want to consolidate a trip to a brew store, Brew brothers in Hillsboro does swaps and Steinbarts does fills.

I get my gas at Matheson gas they guarantee its food grade there are 3 one in Tualition and two in pdx one NW 29th and one one Killingworth they only charge me $12 for a 20 lb cylinder

Thanks for the replies guys - lots of good info! I'm close to needing to fill /swap for the first time.

Jones Welding on 112th and Sandy is $10 for a 5 lb. tank. There is also a party supply place in Gresham that rents a 20 lb tank. There is a $35 deposit on the tank, but refills are only $23.

For swapping I would go to Airgas. There are at least 2 locations I have been to. One is on 82nd near Foster and the other is near Bridgeport Village. They usually run about $17.

If you want to consolidate a trip to a brew store, Brew brothers in Hillsboro does swaps and Steinbarts does fills.

Will Airgas rent a tank? I'm about ready to start kegging, just lacking the tank. I hate to purchase a bottle if I'm just going to end up swapping it somewhere.

I get my gas at Matheson gas they guarantee its food grade there are 3 one in Tualition and two in pdx one NW 29th and one one Killingworth they only charge me $12 for a 20 lb cylinder

I sort of wonder who came here just to post that.

I don't make beer, but figured I'd post my experience on following through on this post. I found this post after searching the internet about CO2 exchange cost in the area. I've done a handful of cylinder exchanges(nitrogen, acetylene, oxygen, and CO2) over the years and I generally use Airgas, but I tried Matheson because of this post. It's been about six months since that post was made, but when I called and mentioned the post, the person on the phone happened to be the manager and he offered it for $15.

When I got there an hour later, the counter guy wanted to charge me $30 despite the quote I was given and he just didn't want to honor it. I pretty much had to plead with him before he was willing to even ask the manager. They had me waiting for good 20 minutes to verify my quote like $15 for 20 lb exchange is totally ludicrous price that I made up to cheat them. He didn't let me see the manager to figure out WTF this was about.

When I called the manager seeking explanation for this and what to expect in the future, I'm told I have to setup an account(which requires you to fill a credit application) to continue getting the discounted pricing.

So why didn't they just tell me that when I called to get a quote?!

Time is too valuable to deal with this non-sense. I don't exchange CO2 often enough to justify putting up with this to save $5-10/exchange.

The Hoppy Brewer has directed me over to the Paintball shop in down town Gresham. I've used them in a pinch but I believe that they are exchange only.

If you're in SE, check out Above the Rest Homebrewing on 79th and Foster. They've been open for about a year. They swapped my 5# tank for about $7 or $10. Their number is: (503) 882-8882

Re-opening this old post with some updated prices, as I was looking for the same thing (5lb tanks):

Airgas (Tigard): $115 new (filled), $22 to exchange
Above the Rest (Tigard): $125 new, $25 exchange
Homebrew Exchange: $95 new, $16 exchange
Steinbarts: $88 new, $17 refill (they don't exchange)
Mainbrew (Hillsboro): $90 new (filled), $14 exchange

Re-opening this old post with some updated prices, as I was looking for the same thing (5lb tanks):

Airgas (Tigard): $115 new (filled), $22 to exchange
Above the Rest (Tigard): $125 new, $25 exchange
Homebrew Exchange: $95 new, $16 exchange
Steinbarts: $88 new, $17 refill (they don't exchange)
Mainbrew (Hillsboro): $90 new (filled), $14 exchange

Another update: I just paid Airgas (Tigard) $34.49 to exchange a 5-lb. CO2 cylinder. Mistake. Previous refills at Matheson (Tualatin) were $11.55. I didn't know Steinbart did this.

Last edited:
I bought a used 5lb CO2 tank but it is out of certification. Any tips on where to get the tank re-certified or swapped, and likely cost for this?

Latest posts

Back