Quantcast

CO2 in Portland

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ibrewaletx

Reaction score
What are the best options for both filling / swapping out CO2 tanks in Portland?

jeremevans

Reaction score
For swapping I would go to Airgas. There are at least 2 locations I have been to. One is on 82nd near Foster and the other is near Bridgeport Village. They usually run about $17.

If you want to consolidate a trip to a brew store, Brew brothers in Hillsboro does swaps and Steinbarts does fills.

jadam

Reaction score
I get my gas at Matheson gas they guarantee its food grade there are 3 one in Tualition and two in pdx one NW 29th and one one Killingworth they only charge me $12 for a 20 lb cylinder

OP
Ibrewaletx

Ibrewaletx

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys - lots of good info! I'm close to needing to fill /swap for the first time.

DirtyOldDuck

Reaction score
Jones Welding on 112th and Sandy is $10 for a 5 lb. tank. There is also a party supply place in Gresham that rents a 20 lb tank. There is a $35 deposit on the tank, but refills are only $23.

iamperplexed

Reaction score
For swapping I would go to Airgas. There are at least 2 locations I have been to. One is on 82nd near Foster and the other is near Bridgeport Village. They usually run about $17.

If you want to consolidate a trip to a brew store, Brew brothers in Hillsboro does swaps and Steinbarts does fills.
Will Airgas rent a tank? I'm about ready to start kegging, just lacking the tank. I hate to purchase a bottle if I'm just going to end up swapping it somewhere.

Passerby

Reaction score
I get my gas at Matheson gas they guarantee its food grade there are 3 one in Tualition and two in pdx one NW 29th and one one Killingworth they only charge me $12 for a 20 lb cylinder
I sort of wonder who came here just to post that.

I don't make beer, but figured I'd post my experience on following through on this post. I found this post after searching the internet about CO2 exchange cost in the area. I've done a handful of cylinder exchanges(nitrogen, acetylene, oxygen, and CO2) over the years and I generally use Airgas, but I tried Matheson because of this post. It's been about six months since that post was made, but when I called and mentioned the post, the person on the phone happened to be the manager and he offered it for $15.

When I got there an hour later, the counter guy wanted to charge me $30 despite the quote I was given and he just didn't want to honor it. I pretty much had to plead with him before he was willing to even ask the manager. They had me waiting for good 20 minutes to verify my quote like $15 for 20 lb exchange is totally ludicrous price that I made up to cheat them. He didn't let me see the manager to figure out WTF this was about.

When I called the manager seeking explanation for this and what to expect in the future, I'm told I have to setup an account(which requires you to fill a credit application) to continue getting the discounted pricing.

So why didn't they just tell me that when I called to get a quote?!

Time is too valuable to deal with this non-sense. I don't exchange CO2 often enough to justify putting up with this to save $5-10/exchange.

homebrewmike

Reaction score
The Hoppy Brewer has directed me over to the Paintball shop in down town Gresham. I've used them in a pinch but I believe that they are exchange only.

aspiffymofo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you're in SE, check out Above the Rest Homebrewing on 79th and Foster. They've been open for about a year. They swapped my 5# tank for about $7 or $10. Their number is: (503) 882-8882

pdxsteve

Reaction score
Re-opening this old post with some updated prices, as I was looking for the same thing (5lb tanks):

Airgas (Tigard): $115 new (filled), $22 to exchange
Above the Rest (Tigard): $125 new, $25 exchange
Homebrew Exchange: $95 new, $16 exchange
Steinbarts: $88 new, $17 refill (they don't exchange)
Mainbrew (Hillsboro): $90 new (filled), $14 exchange

Reaction score
Re-opening this old post with some updated prices, as I was looking for the same thing (5lb tanks):

Airgas (Tigard): $115 new (filled), $22 to exchange
Above the Rest (Tigard): $125 new, $25 exchange
Homebrew Exchange: $95 new, $16 exchange
Steinbarts: $88 new, $17 refill (they don't exchange)
Mainbrew (Hillsboro): $90 new (filled), $14 exchange
Another update: I just paid Airgas (Tigard) $34.49 to exchange a 5-lb. CO2 cylinder. Mistake. Previous refills at Matheson (Tualatin) were $11.55. I didn't know Steinbart did this.

Last edited:

troygarrett33

Reaction score
I bought a used 5lb CO2 tank but it is out of certification. Any tips on where to get the tank re-certified or swapped, and likely cost for this?