co2 filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icu812

Reaction score
I was just seeing if anyone was using a co2 filter on their system,and if it was worth the investment. It seems like the smaller one you get about a year of use out of it.any real benefit to this?

icu812 said:
I was just seeing if anyone was using a co2 filter on their system,and if it was worth the investment. It seems like the smaller one you get about a year of use out of it.any real benefit to this?
I use one, you get peace of mind, and you get great tasting beer. It's cheap insurance if you ask me.

i see no need for one.

i've ran CO2 in aquariums for years (planted tanks) and I've never had a 'bad bottle' of CO2 mess with the fish.

If you live in a podunk town like I do, you have to trade off your tanks at a welding shop, they can't refill. I've heard there can be some undesirables in these tanks, so why take the chance? Just because someone has never heard of a problem does not mean it does not exist. Here is my setup-

I wouldn't be surprised if the CO2 for a welding shop is purer then the CO2 you'd get from a beverage place. Welders are a very peculiar bunch when it comes to the purity of the gasses they use.

I buy my gas from a welding supply place too. If there were an impurities in the gas they wouldn't have their customer base for too long. I would imagine that those impurities would show up more quickly in their work than mine. Is your filter a particulate filter or does it scrub a certain kind of gas? I would think particles would clog up welding equipment pretty quick and other gasses would cause flares, flame outs, or bad welds. I don't think they'd be in business too long if their gas did any of those.

All my gas is from a welding shop..for beer and for fish tanks. and I always swap tanks.

Sea said:
What purpose does the splitter into the tee on the outlet of your reg. serve?
It serves the purpose of me making an ass out of my self. I figured since I was feeding 2 kegs I needed to use both outlet's, im such a dope.:( I now have moved my tank outside the freezer and went to a dual pressure secondary so I can control 2 pressures separately, much better setup.

Back