CO2 Filling in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nberggren

Reaction score
I've been a lurker on these forums for awhile now. Reading and learning as I start off my homebrewing hobby. On my 3rd batch now each one has been better then the one before. I've had a kegerator for a couple years now and wanted to share my CO2 filling experiences in Chicago and see if I can get any other recommendations for places nearby.

I'm on the North side and have used 3 different places to fill.

• City Welding Sales & Services Inc -7212 Channel Rd Skokie, IL 60076
    It's a little hard to find but they do a good job. $25/5lbs. Monday-Friday​

• NFC/Suburban Carbonic -2944 N Leavitt St. Chicago, IL
    Normal filling place. Doesn't look like much from the outside. No sign on the door if I recall correctly. They have a black iron gate in front of the main door. $20/5lbs. Monday-Friday​

• 1st Evanston Liquors -1912 Davis Street, Evanston, IL
    Last resort for weekends. They are open everyday and outside the normal 8-5 so when you run out on the weekend you have an option. However in the 2 times I've used them (on Sundays) I never get a full tank though I get charged for it. It's hard to tell without a scale if it's full. After I get home I've weighed by 7.5lb empty tank and it comes out to about 9.5lbs "filled" by them. $22/5lbs​

Obviously I can't recommend a specific local place, but have you checked places that service fire-extinguishers? Around here they were the best in price by about $10. I am able to get a 5# fill for about 12 bucks.

Praxair in Hillside is alright, $20 for 10#.

Airgas in McCook sucked. $30 for 10# and stole my brand new tank. Didn't realize it until later.

Back