CO2 Cartridges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snpr13

Reaction score
I am using mini kegs for easy transport of beer. I have seen a few times people saying to only use the food grade cartridges as other types will leak oil into your beer. Is there any truth to this and also is there maybe a brand or place to buy them from fairly cheaply?

Pure nonsense. When I need them, I just go to the local paintball place. They generally have the volume to give good prices.

Silliness. If there were oil inside (which there is not) it would never discharge properly as in most instances the carts are installed so that the outlet is upright and only gas can escape. The only difference is that the larger 16g carts that your homebrew suppliers are selling are simply the ones that you find at your average bike-shop for fully inflating a road bike tire. Use whatever floats your boat, but I assure you that you will be fine with the little 12g crosmans.

You'd never want to carbonate or clean with them, but they dispense just fine. Work great for bonfires, camping, etc.

Back