CO2 cartridge mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foyboy

Reaction score
Brand new CO2 cartridge injector BTFU! Still not sure what happened but I have one hellofawelt on my gut and a black fingernail.I do have broken plastic where the brass 1/4" fitting goes in. Anyone have anything simular happen.I can not imagine they make these for tires and many other uses and they don't fail when mine failed with no real movement.

Was the gas disconnect for the keg attached when this happened?

That happened to me. With the disconnect on the charger, and the disconnect NOT on the keg, there is no place for the pressure to go if the trigger is pulled.

I got a black fingernail and a long bruise and scrape on my leg.

:(

or not screwed all the way on (the plastic sleeve that holds the cartridge).

yeah you have to connect it to the keg, then put the cartridge in and puncture it.
And from the way mine reads, you need to completely dispense the cart before you remove it from the keg or the post.

I had one pop at a party. I thought the disco was on the keg, but BOOM The top of the disconnect shot up and landed in the neighbor's yard.

B

No, I did everything correct, and it still BTFU ! I could just imagine what could happen with people standing all around the thing and it blowing up .I have a serious welt and two black fingernails . Looks to me the plastic failed at the brass fitting. Do they sell a better one ????? Metal ? I have a new 3 gallon keg and would like to use it like I intended.

And from the way mine reads, you need to completely dispense the cart before you remove it from the keg or the post.

I know this is an old thread, but anyone have a way to not have the cart shoot off when switching carts? Here's what happened my first time using mine (luckily I did this outside):

1. Released headspace pressure, attached gas QD to keg and attached empty charger with base removed to disconnect. Inserted cartridge into base and screwed into assembly.
2. When finished, I held the trigger to make sure all co2 emptied into the keg. Even pulled the trigger a few more times to make sure.
3. When unscrewing the bottom, the cartridge shot out of the bottom like a rocket, hit me in the leg and then ended about 15 feet away on the deck.

Is there any way to prevent this? I got a 2.5G keg and want to serve inside for the holidays. I'm definitely installing/switching/disconnecting this charger outside since it's pretty unstable in my eyes.

Edit: I think I just realized that by leaving the QD attached to the keg and unscrewing, the keg pressure reached equilibrium with the empty cartridge, forcing a few psi back in. By not taking off the QD first, the few psi of pressure caused the cartridge to shoot out.

Back