CO2 carboy during cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant-man

Reaction score
So I like to cold crash my beer but it gets oxygenated when doing so. I was wondering if anyone had come up with a way to slowly feed CO2 into the carboy as it crashed to prevent oxygen from getting to the beer.

This is what I have been thinking;
If I could get a regulator that I could provide say 1/8 to ½ lb of pressure to the carboy while cold crashing this might do the trick. I have been looking at the Williams brewing 0-12 PSI Flare mount keg mini regulator to do just this. I can connect it to the blow off hose and as the wort compressed as it chilled the left over space would be filled with CO2
Am I crazy or do you think this is worth looking into.

I think i am going to order the things that i will need and post how it works.

that's nice but that won't do because when you go to take it out the negative pressure will force air into the beer i believe. i am looking for a more neutral pressure system in the carboy it's self.

Thanks though

I bought one of those regulators for exactly that purpose. It works great!! I set the psi to about 2 and I checked it twice a day. 16 gram cartridge worked fine, and there was plenty left when I reached the temp. I did initial fermentation in carboy, transferred to keg, purged any air out. I overfilled the keg a little, and had to pour some beer out.

On a side note, I was surprised how well built that regulator is. I was worried it was going to be a pos.

I use this blow off stopper

https://www.morebeer.com/products/r...-wwhite-caps-3-5-6-65-gallon-smooth-neck.html

I attach to the carboy with a hose-clamp. I hook the C02 airline to the smaller diameter, but taller silicone nipple. I insert a standard airlock in the other nipple and set my CO2 regulator to lowest possible. About 1-2 bubbles every 2-5 seconds. You will have to monitor sanitizer levels in the airlock as cold, dry fridge air coupled with bubbling will evaporate the small volume quickly. Check every 6 hours until at cold crash temp.

Once crashed to 36* I turn off the gas.

To transfer beer to my keg I just need to insert the stainless steel racking cane and purge it and hose with CO2 before connecting ball lock to fill my kegs.

This seems to keep positive pressure at all times.

Latest posts

Back