CO2 Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, if you don't want to swap your tank, which is what most gas supply places do, check your yellow pages for a fire extinguisher supplier. The one I found locally charges $12 to fill a 5 lb tank while I wait.

One near Atlanta charges $12.95 for 5 lbs or $12.95 for 10 lbs

He probably charges $12.95 for 2.5, 15 and 20 lbs too

my local welding supply store filled my 5# for $10 even. It really varies from place to place... most likely soda shops will be more $ and places that do a lot of gas like welding shops will be less. Another source is tractor supply stores.

Just make sure your tank is in date (within 5 years of the stamp at the top), and when you transport the full bottle keep it immobile in the trunk or back of the truck. Last thing you need is the f-ing safety valve blowing and completely whiting our your vehicles cabin (or freezing your skin if blowing directly on you).

As far as swapping tanks, just call ahead and ask them if they can fill yours up while you wait. You also want to mention that you will be bringing in your own tank and that it is in date. Some places swap tanks, and some places to not allow customer owned tanks for liability reasons. It literally takes 5 minutes to fill a tank up.

WOW you guys are getting a bit of a price gouge or I'm real lucky.
there's a welding supply shop down the road from my LHBS and they charge me either 8 or 10 dollars for my 15 # tank and they fill mine.
I bought my tank new and I plan to use that one (I know where it's been).
so look around CO2 is CO2.

how long ago did you fill yours? i've found that locally, prices have risen. when i swapped my 50# tank about a year ago, the swap only cost 13.50 for it, now it would be around 16 or so at the same place, with a 20# costing around 14 to swap now (used to be around 12).

my LHBS charges a flat rate of 2 dollars per pound of co2, which is nice for my 2.5# tank - 5 dollars for a fill, whereas a swap at the same shop that i normally go to costs around 9 dollars for the swap.

There's an industrial gas supplier a few miles north of here that I've used (Richmond Oxygen). With tax a 5# fill is $12.60. Larger tanks are only slightly more than that. They don't swap, they go out and fill your tank for you so you don't end up feeling screwed if you just bought a shiny new tank. Man that thing is frigid when they give it back to you!

So this is going to be a really dumb question... But CO2 is the same no matter what right?? I mean I don't have to worry about how it was handled or anything before I pump it into my beer. I know there can't be "Food Grade" CO2 but that is all I keep thinking of.

SpamDog

Buford said:
There's an industrial gas supplier a few miles north of here that I've used (Richmond Oxygen). With tax a 5# fill is $12.60. Larger tanks are only slightly more than that. They don't swap, they go out and fill your tank for you so you don't end up feeling screwed if you just bought a shiny new tank. Man that thing is frigid when they give it back to you!

I have a friend with a kegerator who swears Arcet (sp) only charges $8 for a refill (5 lb. tank). I swapped mine out with someone on Commerce rd and was charged $18, I don't plan on going back there.

Sorry to hijack, please continue.

SpamDog said:
So this is going to be a really dumb question... But CO2 is the same no matter what right?? I mean I don't have to worry about how it was handled or anything before I pump it into my beer. I know there can't be "Food Grade" CO2 but that is all I keep thinking of.

SpamDog

CO2 is CO2...

Some gases, such as nitrous oxide, propane, and natural gas have other chemicals added to them. With nitrous its to prevent people from inhaling them (to catch a buzz, duh). A scent is added to propane/natural gas to alert people to a possibly dangerous explosive situation.

what is considered 'small'? i usually just swap tanks, so if my tank is out of test, i pay for the cost of the test and swap, and get a different tank that is within test right there on the spot.

that sucks... cause you end up paying for a 5 year test and will most likely receive a bottle that was tested months or even years ago.

Back