CO2 bottle problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaburko

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a CO2 bottle that was carbing my kegs, but I came back on Sunday and discovered that its not pushing any CO2 to the kegs. Its not empty, but something didn't quite work. I took off my CO2 regulator and saw a small pin that needs to be slightly pressed to release CO2. For some reason the regulator doesn't push it at all. I had another regulator lying around, but no fun with it either. Anyone experienced this? Faulty bottle or Im missing something obvious. As I said, it used to work quite well for the past 2 months carbing up nicely 3 kegs. It's a 6l bottle, so definitely not empty

Did you disconnect the the bottle in between it working for the past 2 months and now? How are you sure it's not empty? It there was a small leak it's very possible it's empty ... happened to me once.

thanks for the reply. It's not empty as I weighed it and its more than 80% full. Also, if you see in the video, when i press that little knob, gas starts flowing

thanks for the reply. It's not empty as I weighed it and its more than 80% full. Also, if you see in the video, when i press that little knob, gas starts flowing
Sorry the video won't load for me at work so I couldn't see it. Strange what was once working fine now isn't, for sure!

Not 100% but it looks like it could be a pin valve, like they use on paintball guns. If you bought the tank you'll need an adapter. If it's a tank swap, you need to swap for a different tank.

Last edited:
No 100% but it looks like it could be a pin valve, like they use on paintball guns. If you bought the tank you'll need an adapter. If it's a tank swap, you need to swap for a different tank.
What's weird is that it used to work. Here in Switzerland i bought it from a company that provides co2 solutions to soda companies. Can you please advise what adapter i might need? Something between the bottle and the regulator?

What's weird is that it used to work. Here in Switzerland i bought it from a company that provides co2 solutions to soda companies. Can you please advise what adapter i might need? Something between the bottle and the regulator?

If it was working with the regulator, and then stopped working. It might be the regulator or the keg disconnects failed. Not that you might need an adapter, I didn't read the OP as was working and suddenly stopped.

Nothing against your intelligence, just because I'd hate for you to go through all this and it be stupid simple mistake. Make sure when your tank is turned on

Do any of the gauges on the regulator indicate pressure is reaching the unit?

If both gauges are showing pressure, the issue is after the regulator. Take off the keg disconnects and open the regulator and see if CO2 is delivered. The disconnect could have gummed up from beer, if it wasn't cleaned completely. If the regulator has a check valve, try removing that from the setup and see if it delivers gas.

If the tank pressure gauge (in line with the tank stem), is not showing any pressure, it would suggest something failing in the regulator/tank connection. I'm not familiar with European gas cylinders. If the regulator/tank was delivering CO2, the regulator must have a pin inside that corresponds to the pin on the tank. Make sure the regulator still has a pin inside and that it has enough tension to depress the tank pin. It could be a broken spring.

If the tank pressure gauge is reading pressure, but the line pressure is zero that might indicate a blown diaphragm. It could also be a regulator diaphragm is blown, check with the regulator manufacturer about getting a repair kit.

Looking at the "pin" in that valve it might have been barely catching on the tip of the regulator stem - especially if a fiber or plastic washer was being used.
In fact a cheap way to "fix" the problem might be to find a fiber or plastic washer with a smaller ID that would reliably shove the pin in.
We don't need much volume from the cylinder so something with like an 1/8" ID might work...

CHeers!

Looking at the "pin" in that valve it might have been barely catching on the tip of the regulator stem - especially if a fiber or plastic washer was being used.
In fact a cheap way to "fix" the problem might be to find a fiber or plastic washer with a smaller ID that would reliably shove the pin in.
We don't need much volume from the cylinder so something with like an 1/8" ID might work...

CHeers!
I did something like this and now I'm back carbing and dispensing. Thanks!

Back