Co-pitching Verdant and Nottingham (but there's still time to stop me)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
I've just pitched some Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast into a small batch of 1.051 APA. After reading about varying attenuation experiences in the Verdant thread, I've decided to co-pitch some Nottingham in order to get me to about 77% (I mashed quite high at 68C).

I'm thinking of giving the Verdant maybe 48 hours to get a headstart, then adding the Notty. Not planning to dry-hop this batch, fwiw.

Does this sound like a good idea? Is it a crime against brew-manity?

It will work and certainly not a crime, but I doubt Nottingham will get you 77% apparent attenuation when you have mashed that high. Verdant can get you 75-76% apparent attenuation, but you need to mash low and longer*. Nottingham is around 77-79% constantly when mashed low, but does take a hit when mashing high. But I am curious what attenuation you will get.

I am planning on co-pitching Verdant and Nottingham in a 11-13% Stout - Lallemand states a lower alcohol tolerance for Verdant, which is where Nottingham comes in.

in order to get me to about 77%

Just checked my brewing software, and it's actually 73.7% I'm shooting for. I pitched the Nottingham today, about 36 hours after the Verdant. It's my first time using Verdant, and I'm really pleased with the aroma I got when I opened the fermenter to add the Notty. I've never had a beer smell quite like that before.

Keep the crystal malt down, and mash low and the verdant will comfortably give good attenuation. I think it’s the best dry yeast for character full uk ales. I don’t like Nottingham at all but that’s just me.

I think you’ll like it, let us know how it turns out

Ended up with 70% attenuation. Not sure whether the Notty did anything (it was an opened package that I had stored in a small ziploc bag). Still made a tasty beer.

Thanks for the data points! I haven't had a chance to try this strain yet, but I'm eager to get my hands on a sachet. It's long past time we got a halfway decent UK ale strain in dry form.

Ended up with 70% attenuation. Not sure whether the Notty did anything (it was an opened package that I had stored in a small ziploc bag). Still made a tasty beer.
I recently made a 1.039 bitter with pale malt, some DME and some crystal wheat. I co-pitched Verdant and M44 at the same time, 50/50. I have used Verdant 6 or7 times now and achieved 75% +-1% every time. This batch reached 77%. Not a lot of difference, I expected higher and was hoping for 80%, as M44 can get to 80-85% especially in this kind of wort. My theory is that as M44 is a slow starter, and Verdant is quick, and can ferment out in under 48 hours, the M44 never got a real foothold. I like the beer but I want to work be able to get the attenuation of the more attenuative yeast in future batches. I'll maybe pitch M44 before the Verdant to let it get started. And/or pitch more M44. IIRC we were advised to pitch larger quantities of M44 after its release. Notty shouldn't pose this problem though. Interesting that you only got 70%, I would expect more from Verdant on its own.

Cheers!

I'm going to try something similar with a Fuller's ESB clone attempt this Winter/Spring.
A while back I brewed a NEIPA and left it too late to make a starter with some top cropped LAIII so I mixed it with a pack of Verdant.

It turned out good, I also cropped it before dry hopping and brewed a lovely Young's ESB clone with it.
I still have it in the fridge but have no clue about the ratio of Verdant to LAIII now.

Anyway I don't have WLP002, WY1968 or Imperial Pub so I'm going to try a mix of what I have in the fridge followed by a pack of Nottingham a day or two later.

If I can fit it in I will do a split batch and pitch one half without the Nottingham and compare.

I better do a check on the slurry in the fridge first though as it has been there a few months o_O

I'll report back sometime early next year :)

Back