Co-pitching Slurry and Fresh (Dry) Yeast - Belle Saison & WLP644

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
I want to experiment with mixing 2 of my favorite strains, Belle Saison and WLP644 Saccharomyces Bruxellensis Trois, but am unsure how/when to pitch them.

The Belle Saison is a fresh pack, while the WLP644 is slurry. So I didn't know if I should just toss them both in after chilling and let it rip, or if I should pitch one, wait a few days for fermentation to get going, then pitch the other?

I won't be using any form of temp control, and the room the fermenter will be in is around 70° F, so I imagine the yeast will get to the high 70's, if not the low 80's.

Recipe is 80% 2 Row, 20% Wheat, 20 IBUs bittering, and 3oz in the whirlpool.

Any and all thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

I like WLP644 a lot.

I would pitch WLP644 first and then use Belle Saison as a finisher. The esters on 644 are far superior, so you want 644 to ferment some of the wort at first.

I would also mash a bit higher than usual for a saison/high attenuating beer, but that is a personal taste.

Te grainbill looks very good. The IBUs are also OK ( I do not enjoy high IBUs in a belgian* type beer with specific belgian esters and phenols )

I would pitch WLP644 first and then use Belle Saison as a finisher. The esters on 644 are far superior, so you want 644 to ferment some of the wort at first.

Thanks for the reply. Based on what you've said, I am thinking that I will let the WLP644 go for 3-4 days and then pitch the rehydrated Belle Saison. Thoughts?

3-4 days sounds reasonable. I have tried the same with other strains and usually I pitched the second yeast at day 2 or 3... But I think it will work at day 4 as well.

I bet it will turn out great. Make sure to come back and let us know, once the beer is done.

Latest posts

Back