CMBecker Gas Ball Lock Leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose_in_HTX

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a bit paranoid about CO2 leaks so I tested two new gas ball locks (grey, CMBecker) that I recently bought. Both, to some extent, seem to leak a small amount of CO2 (from the top) when the lock is placed under water. (see linked video.) Is this to be expected? I certainly thought it was a problem with the first, but seeing it on both makes me wonder. Have any of you see this problem?

Leak to Video: LINK

Jose

I should have added that I change out the stock gaskets and replace with #013 O-rings. You can feel them engage when they are being compressed.

Interesting. I have at least 32 cmb qds in constant service in their oem state. Never thought there was a need to mod them...

Cheers!

Definitely, the leak is around the threaded cap. It's likely just a tad under torqued...

Cheers!

So just to make sure I understand. In the image below, my leak appears to be coming from the area depicted by the red arrow. That little circular part between the body and the "thing" that maybe can be tightened. Are you saying I can stick a screw driver in the area shown by the black arrow and tighten this down? Apologies for such a newbie question. This is all very new to me.

pic1.png

Are you saying I can stick a screw driver in the area shown by the black arrow and tighten this down?

Yes, that's what he's saying. You can also remove that top completely, to disassemble everything for cleaning and sanitizing.

Yes, that's what he's saying. You can also remove that top completely, to disassemble everything for cleaning and sanitizing.
Awesome! I will certainly try that. Thanks for the hint. I was wondering what the notch was for. Seemed a bit wide for a screwdriver, but I will see what happens. :)

Back