Clueless to hydrometer readings...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Coaster

Reaction score
I have no freakin clue how to read my hydrometer...

There is a big bold line for 1.000
then 4 ticks
then regular bold line with a 10
then 4 ticks
then regular bold line with a 20 and so on until 90
then 4 ticks
Then another big bold line for 1.100

My Red Ale is at day 16 (11 in secondary) and the reading is 2 ticks below the 10

My Cervesa is at day 14 (9 in secondary) and the reading is on the 10

Neither has bubbled in the carboy for around a week and they both taste quite good from the sample jar :)

I wanted to get these in the keg and carbed by Canada Day (07/01)

Am I SOL?

It's like a thermometer. Every like is 2 degrees (or points).

It sounds like your red ale is 1.012 (done).

It sounds like your cervesa is 1.010 (done).

It's like a thermometer. Every like is 2 degrees (or points).

It sounds like your red ale is 1.012 (done).

It sounds like your cervesa is 1.010 (done).

close but the red ale if it is two ticks below then it is at 1.014 not 1.012. One click under is 1.012, two is 1.014. Two points per click. If you get the same reading after another day then they are good to keg.

As Yooper said they seem to be done. In order to have them carbed in 5 days you will have to keg them soon and burst carb them. That is, set the psi to 30 for 36 to 48 hours shake the kegs periodically?? Then dial back to serving pressure. I have tried it a couple of times and am yet to be successful. I got one somewhat carbed that way but it took at least a week to finish. I usually just put the keg in at serving pressure then wait. Usually a couple of weeks.

You could keg them, and put them at 40 degrees and at 30 psi for 36 hours. Then purge the kegs and reset to 12 psi, and have them ready by July 1. They might be hazy and a bit rough, but that's about the best you can do at this late date.

To simplify, 1.000 is the gravity of water, depending on whether your hydrometer is set at 60F or 66F. You have the long lines which are 10, 20, 30, 40, etc. The small lines in between are 2, 4, 6 , 8. Some hydrometers, like mine, are instructed to read at the top of the meniscus, or where the fluid curves up to the side of the hydrometer. Others will instruct to read straight through the meniscus at the top of the fluid level. So you'll have to read the instructions for your hydrometer to see what level to read at & what temp it's set at. Check it, wait till the 3rd day, then check it again. If the numbers match, it's done.

So much for Canada Day...
Lost a 5 pounder to a gas leak, so no carbonation at all. There can't be anything more defeating than having to go and buy beer with 4 full kegs just sitting there...

So much for Canada Day...
Lost a 5 pounder to a gas leak, so no carbonation at all. There can't be anything more defeating than having to go and buy beer with 4 full kegs just sitting there...

that sucks, and just happened to me as well. i found the leak, fixed it. forced it at 30psi at 40F for 24, was ready to drink...i shook up the keg every hour too. its doable!

Back