cloves in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really depends on the rest of the recipe, I find cloves often overpower a mead. I would go for whole cloves and probably no more than 1 for every 2 gallons.

I used the suggested amount in the original JAO recipe i.e. 1 per gallon, though Joe suggests no more than 2

Clove flavour is extracted by the alcohol content, hence it seems that its best to err on the side of caution. Plus I'd say whole as ground can provide a dusty sort of taste......

Plus I'd say whole as ground can provide a dusty sort of taste......

Anything powdered never seems to taste as fresh, either. You can always pick up on it - whether you can name it or not....something's just...off.

Anything powdered never seems to taste as fresh, either. You can always pick up on it - whether you can name it or not....something's just...off.
My point exactly.....but expressed in a better way (in my own defence, I was stuck on the side of a motorway, having run out of driving time after a 14 hour day :) )

Back