Cloverfield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Saw Cloverfield tonight, good movie, really intense in some parts. However, if I were in that situation, there is no way in hell I'd be going back for anybody if I saw that thing stomping on my city. Also, don't you think they kind of gave away the ending a bit when the movie first started?

please do post some more thumbs up/down.

the thread at homebrew.com is of the consensus that it was pretty weak...overhyped. compared to Blair Witch Project

I really disliked it. I'm really glad that work paid for the show instead of it coming out of my pocket.

100% shakeycam. Shakeycam to the point of nausea. They used the shakeycam to cover up poor special effects, limited fov and crappy sets. Hey, dickweed: shakey cam is NOT artsy. It's a low budget, low talent process for capturing images. Occasional use to spotlight a specific thing or draw a particlar mood out is good. Doing it constantly is distracting and makes it hard to really care abotu what you are seeing--- of course if you have a bad set, shallow characters and a crappy story that might be the point.

The story was very slim-- almost no meat to the story at all and this made it hard for me to give a **** what happened to the characters. Characters who were pretty one dimensional anyway.

I'd give spoilers but there's nothing really to give. The monster is big. Somebody dies. The camera will shake. Except for about 15 seconds after the helicopter crashes. Then it sits still. Till some ******* picks it up again. When I am Evil overlord of the universe, I will feed the guy who picked up that camera to a pack of rabid dogs.

And for some reason when there is an emergency in New York, apparently the authorities light the streets with ground level spotlights. When I am EOL, I will emulate this since it seemed to make all the stupid shallow people run toward the big explosions.

My favorite quote overheard as we left the theater: "Well, I hope that kid got an A, that was a good film for a college project."

you're right about shakeycam, it gets old. I got used to it but the end gave me a weird feeling from it.

From what I'm told, the "no meat" about the characters is a JJ Abrams thing.

todd_k said:
From what I'm told, the "no meat" about the characters is a JJ Abrams thing.
Bullcrap. See LOST, Felicity, Alias, Regarding Henry etc. JJ Abrams is capable of developing great, compelling characters and has done so frequently. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/

In fact when he left Alias is when the characters and story flattened out into Hollywood stereotypes.

kornkob said:
Bullcrap. See LOST, Felicity, etc. JJ Abrams is capable of developing great, compelling characters.

ok, chief, take it easy. like I said, from what I'm told....... He didn't have 2 seasons to develop back stories like on TV.

He doesn't need 2 seasons to develop characters. He's developed characters in movies before. He didn't here.

Flat characters is simply not a "JJ Abrams thing".

IMDB User Rating: 8.3/10 (2,600 votes)
I mite have to check this one out, sounds like most people are likeing it :)
bug.gif

Except for the fact that I get really bad motion sickness, I loved the movie. Even taking ginger didn't help out 100%. A little bit more steadycam would have made this the best movie ever. Well except for Transformers.

This movie has to be watched with a certain frame of mind. If you go in thinking it's going to be like another godzilla/king kong ripoff, you will be disappointed. There's no typical character development like in other Hollywood movies. You know how people say "Oh if I were in that movie, I would never do that! I would do this, and this, and this etc." This was one of those movies. As for shallow character development, I agree, it was rather wanting, but then again how much personality depth can you get from home made video of a party? :p Have you SEEN most home movies? They're boring as all get out.

It's done as if any of you people were living in NYC and a ginormous monster attacked. You would lose your ****e for sure! Kornkob, this movie is shot from the prespective of 20-something up and coming dbags throwing a party and using their $500 Sony Handicam. There's nothing low budget about that, it's all part of the scenery. I like how there's no explanation of the monster, no white-coated scientist who walks out to announce the where/why/name of the beast. It's just there and it's really angry!

The plot is also two-fold. It's about a monster destroying New York (monsters always destroy New York) and it's also about the love interest. This is actually a chick flick for guys. The guy loses the girl he yearns for in a disaster and he goes to go rescue her. His friends go with him for support instead of abandoning him.

There was a huge viral marketing campaign for this movie, starting with the nameless trailer before Transformers last year. I ignored all that, because I didn't want spoilers. It got so bad JJ Abrams was actually quoted saying they just started making things up because people kept trying to find out more about the movie. 1-18-08.com is one of the websites associated with this movie. I found out last night that if you leave that page open about 10 minutes, it ROOAARRRRSS at you. Scared the unholy crap outta me.

Todd_k, I agree, they shouldn't have given away the location of where they found the camera. It did kinda sorta give it away, but then at the very end of the movie it doesn't specify if the camera was abandoned or not. There's a few other tiny things I wanna complain about but don't want to spoil it for anyone else who wants to see the movie. OK I do have to complain about one thing; rebar through the shoulder is NOT a minor flesh wound!

My suggestion is definitely drink a teaspoon of ground ginger and water before going into the theater, and you will feel a lot better about watching the movie. And not want to barf.

And that's my haphazard review :p

kornkob said:
Bullcrap. See LOST, Felicity, Alias, Regarding Henry etc. JJ Abrams is capable of developing great, compelling characters and has done so frequently. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/

In fact when he left Alias is when the characters and story flattened out into Hollywood stereotypes.

According to Entertainment Weekly (the magazine), it is a sort of social commentary to have the characters be self obsessed, twenty somethings. I think it was intentional to create characters that the audience doesn't care about.

I have not seen it yet, that's the review I read. EW gave it a B+.

with the split of opinions, I'm definitely not paying theater prices to see this...plus I get motion sick from watching 30 seconds of a First Person Shooter.

I'll save this for netflix...or TBS ;)

I'll probably pass. My standard test is >90% on Rotten Tomates or over 4.2 from Google. Anything less then that and I'm usually disappointed to spend the money to see it in the theater. Maybe I'll pick it up from Netflix.

adx said:
I'll probably pass. My standard test is >90% on Rotten Tomates or over 4.2 from Google. Anything less then that and I'm usually disappointed to spend the money to see it in the theater. Maybe I'll pick it up from Netflix.

+1 to the rottentomatoes thing... I am the same way unless it is something I have had my eye on for a long time (like the new hellboy, looks AMAZING..but that is because Guillermo del Toro is one of the best directors period)

I think ill wait on cloverfield too, it just doesnt capture my attention...

c.n.budz said:
I have purposely skipped past Kornkob's posts. Are they spoilers? Are they obnoxious reviews? This movie interests me but I don't want to catch a spoiler yet.

Hook a brutha up.....

No-- no spoilers in my posts--- because the plot os so devoid of content that there is nothing to spoil.

After reading many reviews, I wholeheartedly believe that everyone falls somewhere in this spectrum:

CLOVERFIELD __x_|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____ TRANSFORMERS

The x is where I am.

:p

CLOVERFIELD ___|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|__X__ TRANSFORMERS

and I'm way over here. I have a tattoo that proves it. :D

Just saw it.
Cons:
-Shakey camera the whole time (but one can get used to it as the movie goes on)
-Very Blair Witchy (exchange woods for city)... especially towards the end.
-Some unrealistic parts involving helicopters and mortal wounds

Pros:
-Very intense... really sucks you in
-Cool effects (and I don't normally consider that important)
-Interesting synopsis and the movie doesn't try to explain it, which works for this movie.

Overall worth seeing IMO... especially in the theater unless you have a killer home theater. I give it a thumbs up, not way up, but up nonetheless.

Just got back from seeing it. Good movie. Very much Godzilla clone but still good. Def. a theater movie. At home wouldn't do it justice. One of those movies IMO best seen at the movies.

TxBrew said:
Just got back from seeing it. Good movie. Very much Godzilla clone but still good. Def. a theater movie. At home wouldn't do it justice. One of those movies IMO best seen at the movies.

Buuuut... if you can't get to a theater, and you can stand watching a cammed version of a cam movie, watch it here:

http://joox.net/cat/2/id/2109116

So did anyone see the monster/satellite fall into the water at the end during the Coney Island scene? I missed it but heard a lot about it. I stayed for the end of the credits and was pretty mad I couldn't understand what was said at the very end..turns out it was backwards anyway and it's someone saying "It's still alive."

Worse piece of giant doo-doo since Blair Witch Project! Pure garbage.

No wonder the ads for it were so basically non-existent.

If you value your hard earned dollars skip this one. They've proved once again how easy it is to steal my (your) money!

When the word gets out on this POS it'll be out on DVD by next weekend for $0.99.

If you value your hard earned dollars skip this one. They've proved once again how easy it is to steal my (your) money!

When the word gets out on this POS it'll be out on DVD by next weekend for $0.99.

Sorry for the double post, but this film needs to be put in the recyle bin...spread the word...it's time badly spent.

I would have rather seen Godzilla (again) or the Transformers than this film...

homebrewer_99 said:

I have a feeling I'd think the same thing. They did this movie already without the sickening camera work. Its called Godzilla...

Back