Clove in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senza

Kristjan
Reaction score
Hey!
Got a question... I'm a rather new mead-maker, just finished my first 1G batch (total time a bit over a year) ABSOLUTELY loved it.. I'm making a gallon of the same thing, and a gallon of blueberry mead, a recipe I got from a friend. Also I'm making six one litre batches (each one is a tad bit over a quart in imperial) , because making mead is rather expensive and time consuming, I cant fathom the idea of making a bunch of mead in a period of year, that I will not like.. I have used several recipes from the internet, and one that intrested me, also had clove in it.. Only the recipe translates to english like ..Add clove to suite your taste...How much clove would you add to a quart of mead? I never used it in brewing/cooking, so I have no idea, how much to add or even when to add it (primary/secondary??) I have a plan to bottle at 2 months(that includes primary/secondary) and taste the first at 6, and second bottle at 12 months.

Cloves are very powerful. For a one litre batch I would use 1 clove and take it out after 2 weeks even if the ferment isn't done. It's easy to over do it. "To taste" means on your next attempt, take the clove out sooner or later depending on what you thought of the last one. Also, the taste will fade a bit with time.

I just bottled a 1gallon batch of spiced cyser that had 1tsp vanilla paste, 1 cinnamon stick, about 1/2 tsp. ginger root and 1 clove bud(?) in the primary fermentation. After 2 weeks when it was finished fermenting and I racked it, I removed the spices. Just before bottling (3 month time period) I added a little more vanilla and ginger, but extra clove and cinnamon were not needed.

Is there a more precise recipe?
Not really. 1 gallon batch. 3 lb wildflower honey, about 3/4 gallon of fresh pressed cider (all I had, it was a poor apple crop this year) and enough water to make about 1.25 gallon. Staggered nutrient schedule and I believe I used EC-118 yeast (notes are at home). Added the spices loose. Fermented in a 5 G bucket, and racked to a 1 G jug with airlock after 2 weeks. It cleared quickly, but clouded up again after I stabilized and backsweetened, and added flavor additions to taste- a little more vanilla and ginger, a little acid mix and some wine tannin. So took a total of 3 months and 3 rackings to clear up completely before bottling.

I just bottled a 1gallon batch of spiced cyser that had 1tsp vanilla paste, 1 cinnamon stick, about 1/2 tsp. ginger root and 1 clove bud(?) in the primary fermentation. After 2 weeks when it was finished fermenting and I racked it, I removed the spices. Just before bottling (3 month time period) I added a little more vanilla and ginger, but extra clove and cinnamon were not needed.
@JimRausch
I, too, would like to know if you'd be willing to share the recipe & process you used, please. That sounds delicious
:ghostly:

You posted before I could ask....thank you

Back