cloudy wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevefromga2000

Reaction score
i made up a batch of a wheat beer, but once it was completed and i got to open up my bottles, it's cloudy when i pour it. i don't know if it is normal or if something went wrong, but i can't see through the beer. i haven't had a wheat beer in a while, so i don't know if it tastes the right way or not. i can taste the hint of banana like the home brew store told me i would, but other than that i don't know if it is good or not. is the cloudy part of the beer normal or is it something i should worry about?

Generally if you brew a wheat beer, you can expect it to be cloudy. Im sure its fine!

that makes sense about it being more cloudy as it's chilled. i prefer my beer cold, the colder the better usually for me, and it does seem a little bit more cloudy as it's colder. thank you for the help, this forum is still my first go to place for questions and help.

As you make different styles and develop your palate you'll likely find that you no longer prefer your beer ice cold. A lot of beers taste better or at least different as they warm. Flavors that are masked at 35* may become apparent at 45* and so on.

Could be some chill haze. Could be that the wheat has caused some protein to be evident and hazy. Also some wheat yeast strains drop clear (krystalweizen) while others remain almost completely in suspension (hefeweizen).

The WY 3333 I've used drops almost completely clear. So clear that it doesn't "look" like a typical cloudy wheat beer. IMO it's almost expected for wheat beers to exhibit some type of haze, so I would pass on worrying for this one.

And +1 for trying some of your beers warmer. It's an American thing for sure, but a lot of beers really do taste better between 43 and 50.

If your wondering what a good Hefe should taste like (Bavarian that is) Go pick up a single or a six of Paulander, Weihenstephaner. Those two are the best ive found. Ive also found Summit makes a decent Hefe and its cheaper then the imports. Also Clove is the other taste of a hefe

Another great example is Franziskaner which is also made by Paulaner.

Back