Cloudy starsan question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceb2652

Reaction score
Brewed my third and fourth batches on Sunday at the same time (Irish red and porter.) Pitched and moved both fermenting buckets to a dark, cool space. Put in the airlocks and decided to fill with Starsan. Cloudy! Researched cloudy Starsan on HBT and got cloudy = ineffective. So 24 hours later fermentation started in both and magically I have CLEAR Starsan in the airlocks. So where am I now? Good sanitizer? Bad sanitizer? Or RDWHAHB from my two batches bottled two weeks ago?

Thanks for all of the advice,

Chad

My Starsan is cloudy the minute I make it so I have never paid much attention to it. I will check the pH every now in then if the batch has been sitting for a while.

Cloudy star san is only bad if it has been sitting out for a few days. My star san is also cloudy the minute I make it, so no worries. RDWAHAHB. Just make sure your airlocks are constantly full. Evaporation sucks.

My Starsan is always cloudy, don't know why. Works perfectly, never had a sanitization issue. Mine will clear in the airlock too, again not sure why but don't worry about it cause it works.

My Starsan is always cloudy, don't know why. Works perfectly, never had a sanitization issue. Mine will clear in the airlock too, again not sure why but don't worry about it cause it works.

I know that around here, it's the hard tap water that causes the clouding. Like other's have said, try using distilled if the cloudiness bugs you. FWIW, what I understand about StarSan solution is that if the pH is right (~3.2, I think below ~4 is ok)), it's effective, regardless of cloudiness.

I've heard hard water or something also causes it so that should not be the worry. So I bought the pH strips but never really use them, I just replace it every so often and have never had an issue.

Is it bad when the pH gets high or low???

The higher the number gets,the less acidic it is. 3 or 3.2 or less is good. Cloudy isn't an issue as fast as it would seem. PH is more important.

I mix my starsan with distilled water...but I have no ph strips...soooo how long do you think it is still good?....3 weeks...8 weeks?...

Back