Cloudy Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBandit

Reaction score
I just drank my first brew, True Brew's Red Ale. It wasn't bad, does have a nice kick. I had this brew in the primary for 24 days, it was clear. I mixed the priming sugar (corn) with the wort and it became cloudy again as it carbonated. After 22 days at about 70° I refrigerated for 3 days before I drank it. It was clear when I put it in the refrigerator and now it is cloudy again. What's going on with this?
Anthony :confused:

sounds like chill haze to me, if it just gets cloudy when it is chilled. try taking it out of the fridge, let it warm and pour a glass and see if it is clear. How is the taste? Does it taste strange, or is it strictly visual?

I think that's chill haze. It's happened to me before.

I left it in the fridge for a week and a half, then it was clear as any commercial beer. It was in a keg though and I'm not sure if its the same with bottles.

:mug:

-Nick

It tasted good. It was hoppy when I bottled but thats all gone now. My Brother enjoyed it. I just looked at the bottles that I didn't refrigerate and they are all clear.

Leave them in the refrigerator for a week to 10 days before opening - cold conditioning will often greatly reduce or eliminate chill haze.

I'll try to leave some in the fridge for a week or so. After waiting nearly 7 weeks to taste my first beer I couldn't wait no more. I don't even know how I made it that long. HaHa.

Back