Cloudy ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBeck67

Reaction score
Hey all most my all grain brews have gone smooth and by the book…that said this citra session pale ale looking cloudy 5 days into ferment…smells good…trub dump kinda watery..wort crashed down quick and pitched (white labs) at 68 degrees..just gonna ride
It out although I did reduce my temp to 60 degrees thinking it might help drop more sediment
Thoughts…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I don't think there's really anything to think about here. Only 5 days in you should expect the beer to be cloudy. It's way too young to make a judgement, or be worried about anything. Yeasts are a finicky fungus. They'll do what they want. You'll have plenty of time to cold crash it if you have the means.

Typically my fermenter starts to clear right after I pitch the yeast, but soon as fermentation starts the yeast rouses everything back up and it gets cloudy again. Day 5 is nothing to worry about, it should start clearing soon. If you're at final gravity, cold crashing helps a lot.

I don't know that I would have dropped the temp after only 5 days, unless you are sure it wasn't going to go any lower in the SG. Usually I assume yeast are busy doing other stuff after the fermentation and by day 8 or 9 things have been usually clearing up on their own at 68 - 70°F for most of the IPA's and ales I've made. Sometimes though I'll see it get clear and then cloudy and then clear again for several weeks after.

Tru enough only my 4th and prevefforts I saw consistent clarity and I’ve overreacted…if I dial back up to 68 will that have any I’ll effect to the process?
Thx everyone for your comments

if I dial back up to 68 will that have any I’ll effect to the process?
Sure. Temps affect everything yeast. Typically lower temps are slower fermenting. Also cleaner tastes might come from the yeasts, but yeast are cultured sometimes for the unique flavor and aroma they impart. So lower my be worse if you want those notes.

But whether that's an I'll effect or an ill effect or a good effect is something to just try and see!

If you aren't going to do a full blown cold crash, then I'd think just leave it at the temp you did all your fermenting at until it cleans up. That might be 2 days from now or 2 - 5 weeks.

What plans for transferring the beer to bottle or keg? You going to remove the site glass and put on a hose attachment or leave the site glass in place? If you do, then you might need to do another dump a day or so before.

Back