Cloudy cream ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaudrybrew

Reaction score
I'm still kind of new to this but can cream ale be cloudy or did I do something wrong? I still have it in my secondary...

If you want more clarity get some unflavored jello from the store. Boil said jello. I let it cool to 150 and add it to the secondary. Or if it is getting cold where you live at night set it outside or in the garage for a night.
It will clear a little when you bottle.
Welcome to the hobsession.

Several factors can influence clarity. I've found using Irish moss during the boil and an extended primary (3 weeks) results in a crystal clear beer, whether it be in the keg or the bottle. Give it time in the fermenter, and during conditioning, and you will probably see similar results. Good luck!

Beaudrybrew said:
I'm still kind of new to this but can cream ale be cloudy or did I do something wrong? I still have it in my secondary...

I just bottled an American cream ale and was wondering the exact same thing. Never took the lid off during fermentation and used star san plus totally clean process. It did have a slightly cloudy look to it but tasted and smelled great. A little confusing but i know it produced plenty of alcohol, had lots of trub on bottom and had absolutely no visible sign of infection at any time. I honestly think its the cream ale.

Are you noticing this before you bottle it or when you pour it to drink? Could be chill haze which is protein that settles when the beer is warm but goes into suspension when the beer is chilled making a beer look a little cloudy.

A cream ale should be crystal clear.

There are many factors that can lead to falling short of what sylistically is ideal. Don't beat yourself up. This is your first brew and a cream ale is not the most forgiving of styles. Also if it is still fermenting it will be cloudy. That is normal.

Here is a recent discussion on clear beer and how to achieve it. Lots of differing approaches.

My contribution is here. You might find some pointers of use.

Do not add boiled Jello as one prior poster suggested. This will be entirely ineffective and not the correct way to add gelatin as a fining agent.

Below is a correct way.

attachment.php

Best of luck going forward.

Back