Cloudy Cider (not the question you're thinking of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
So... the server at a local brewery had this wild idea to make a beer that glitters, because she saw it online. The brewer just kept making fun of her, as he should. I told her I'd help, but only if it were a cider, to save all the time and hassle of a real mash.

From what I can tell, Luster Dust https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00594DD7O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 is what they use in commercial breweries for such a task. But it seems, from what I've ready, it works better if it's a cloudy solution, so there's something for the glitter to hold onto.

So I'm trying to figure out how to KEEP haze in my cider.

A few thoughts

1. Some oats of some sort, maybe carapils, just a little, to add body and haze.
2. Some unfermentable sugar (8oz lactose maybe?)
3. ???

Are there certain yeasties that stay in suspension longer?

She wants a tart raspberry/apple cider...

The general plan right now would be to do apple juice almost as a straight fermentation with a pretty dry yeast, but nothing crazy. When it's done, let it sit with Potassium Sorbate for a few days

Then keg, add malic acid, really finely processed apple puree (moar haze), raspberry juice concentrate, tasting to figure out the mixture along the way. and then toss in the glitter?

I fully expect this to be awful, but for minimal effort, worth a shot. Any ideas on how to pull of a "NE" Cider?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back