Cloudy brown questions about dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coroboto

Reaction score
Hi all, I want to start out letting everyone how informative this site is and how I love it! First time caller long time listener.

Today I've got a question about dry hopping. I brewed a beer it is a brown. The fermentation has stopped (~4 weeks) and I racked the beer into a keg. I racked the beer onto about five ounces of simcoe hops. I used pellets and a fine mesh bag. I then put the keg into my keezer and started to charge it using the slower force carbing methodology.

I wanted to pour some beer in a cup to see color from the tap. The beer has the appearance of chocolate milk. I believe the cloudy qualities are coming from the hop pellets. The "chocolate milk" looking beer tastes pretty good but really really really hoppy. I am pretty sure they are hop pellets in a hazy suspension. Does anyone know how long this will last? I was thinking about transferring the beer to another keg via in line filter to get the hop sludge out of suspension. any suggestions?

did you put anything in the bag to make it sink ? or is it just floating ?

I think you are mostly likely correct and that it is the hops breaking up in the bag and is making the beer cloudy, if you dont have any weight in the bag to make it sink it may take awhile to clear up but cold crashing it for a few days may help

did you put anything in the bag to make it sink ? or is it just floating ?

I think you are mostly likely correct and that it is the hops breaking up in the bag and is making the beer cloudy, if you dont have any weight in the bag to make it sink it may take awhile to clear up but cold crashing it for a few days may help

It is just floating. I did not think to weight it. Next time I will weight the bag and probably use whole hops instead of pellets for dry hopping. "I am gonna wait it out" is my current plan as it is the path of least resistance and a zero investment proposition.

I'm just hoping for a couple "outside of my head/the box" thoughts on what I got going on. That is why this site is great. Lots of different thoughts are cohabitants here at HBT!

It could also be yeast and trub that settled out when the beer got cold. Every keg I fill the first couple pints are cloudy from everything that settled out at the bottom of the keg.

Back