cloudy brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman1

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a first time home brewer, and have just opened my first bottle of Coopers Cerveza (which I was recommended as a good starter brew by the shop I went to). I think I made many mistakes during the process, but am happy to report I have a nice, drinkable beer which is not too dissimilar to modelo especial. Although I was quite happy with the outcome, my beer is rather cloudy. To brew, I used the mix plus 1kg of unrefined cane sugar and fermented for 7 days (OG 1.041 FG 1.010), then transferred to a bottling bucket with white sugar before bottling. I opened the first bottle after a week which was the minimum time recommended (impatient, but as a first timer I was just too excited to wait to taste!). Any tips on how to clarify the beer for my next batch? Thankyou

Time combined with cold crashing will help clarify your beer post fermentation. During the boil you can add Irish moss or whirlflock - both clarifying agents to help clear your beer during cold crashing. If you upgrade to kegging you can use my favorite method - unflavored gelatin. Plenty of threads on using gelatin to clarify your brews.

Most people use finings to clarify their beer. There are two types of finings you can use, kettle addition and post fermentation. The most common kettle addition finings are whirlflock and irish moss. These products help coagulate the proteins created during hot and cold break. Personally I prefer whirlflock.
Post fermentation finings like isinglass help precipitate tannins as well as proteins that can cause chill haze.

You other option is to cold condition the beer. Cold conditioning the beer helps flocculate the yeast, you might have heard it also referred to as lagering.

I would take your bottles and stick them in the fridge for at least two weeks, you'll see a layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. If you pour off your beer without rousing the sediment it'll probably be much clearer.

On a side note, its best to wait at least two weeks before bottling/transferring your beer. Although active fermentation is over there are still fermentation by products that are still being absorbed.

hope this helps.

Leave in the bottle 3 more weeks,,,then one week in the fridge,,and you'll also get a much clearer beer.

Thanks for the quick replies! Will fridge these ones and resist drinking any more.
Cheers

It needed to be in primary more than one week to give it time to settle out clear or slightly misty. during this time by products are metabolized by the yeast. I found this process usually takes 3-7 days on average for most beers. You just have to let it get down to a stable FG first.
Patience yields a better quality product. You didn't give it it's clean up & settle time,basically.

I wouldn't. It may not leave enough yeast to bottle carb with. I noticed the keggers use stuff like that the most.

Back