Cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_brewbie

Reaction score
I have been getting pretty clear beer, but my last batch came out quite cloudy. It was a golden promise Galaxy SMaSH. OG around 1.068, with 6oz of hop in the boil and two more ounces for dry hops.

I vorlauf by recirculating through my false bottom for about 10min and I used Irish moss in the boil. Yeast is US-05 fermented at the low sixties, which I normally have clear beers with. Dry hops were in a 1g paint strainer bag. I cold crashed for a couple days down at about 34f.

Any ideas why this batch came out cloudy?

S05 is not known to be the most flocculant yeast. Cold crashing a couple days is good but if you really want clear beer I think you need to do a good bit longer or better use gelatin after fermentation is done. Time in the fridge/freezer will also work

I cold crash most of the time
Mine usually clears up quite a bit in the keg as time passes

I cold crash most of the time
Mine usually clears up quite a bit in the keg as time passes

That is my experience as well. I generally have very clear beer and wondering why this one was different with the same process. I started the thread as it was the first time I used Golden Promise and was wondering if others had cloudy beer with this grain. Could just be the amount of hops on this beer.

Back