Cloudy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amazinglarry

Reaction score
Did a partial mash yesterday and it looks very murky/cloudy in the carboy. Used a lot of late hops but filtered much of it out. Is there something I can add/do to clear it up or should I just give it a couple of weeks? Is this normal when you conduct an AG or partial?

Did you pitch your yeast? If you just did this yesterday, I would expect there to be a lot in suspension right now.

Did you pitch your yeast? If you just did this yesterday, I would expect there to be a lot in suspension right now.

Pitched the yeast. Probably the most active I've ever seen it before so maybe that's it. Though I've done dozens of extract brews and never seen it this murky before. But I could just be preceiving it that way because I'm a little nervous about my first partial.

Like a lot of things in brewing, wait it out a bit before worrying too much.

If you did a partial mash, you may have more protein and crud in there compared to an extract brew. Even with that, once fermentation finishes and yeast start to fall out, most of the solid matter will settle too. Just give it a couple weeks.

Also to confirm, all grain or partial mash will produce more particulate matter. I remember the first all grain I did, after we siphoned off the liquid into the fermenter, there was loads more trub at the bottom of the kettle.

Do you use whirlfloc or irish moss during the boil?

Agree with all on the cloudiness. Especially with the use of grain, it's going to murky and a bit lighter in color due to all the particles and yeast in suspension. To bring it to a finer point, if it WEREN'T murky, cloudy and non-transparent the day after brew-day, I'd be worried!

Did my first AG a week ago, Murky as all H.E Double hockey sticks!!

It all settled out now as the Primary Ferment is finishing up. Still clearing and I plan on 14 day's in Secondary for further clearing.

So as to yours, not to worry, Time heals many ills with beer. Clarity is one of those things. Even Heff's clear over time!

If you want a clear beer, after Secondary, crash cool then siphon to bottle or keg. I did that with my Belgian from the fall brewing, and it is by far the best beer I have made to date and very nice and clear!

If it will make you feel any better, my AG beer always ends up clearer than any of my extract beers did.

So do mine- although I was a little concerned about my AG bitter I brewed this afternoon, but the OG was perfect. I expect it to clear in the next eight or nine days.

If it will make you feel any better, my AG beer always ends up clearer than any of my extract beers did.

Did you get a good "hot break" and "cold break"? I noticed that I didn't, until I started using kettle finings. I started with Irish moss, but switched to Whirlfloc and my wort is crystal clear. The break materials are comprised of proteins that gob up and fall out. The hot break happens right after the wort starts boiling. It looks like it's going to boil over, but after that the foam disappears and there are gobs of goobers in the wort. When you chill the wort rapidly, the "cold break" happens and much more stuff falls out. It looks like egg drop soup. When I boiled harder and chilled faster, I no longer had clarity issues. Maybe this could be the case in your situation, if you didn't boil really hard until after the hot break.

Back