Cloudy beer on a new brew system.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jako

Reaction score
This is the 5th? Batch on my new system. I have noticed beer is taking a lot longer to clear up. Gelatain works but even then it takes a bit to clear up.

I use whirlflock and whirlpool the last 15min of the boil then chill to about 60-75 depending on how slow I take it.

For my mash I will add gain wait about 5-10 min after mixing. Let it recirculate vorlauf 10 min then start my RIMS recirculation.

Vale71

Reaction score
I use whirlflock and whirlpool the last 15min of the boil then chill to about 60-75 depending on how slow I take it.
If you're whirlpooling during the boil then you're just moving the wort around with no effect at all. Convection mixes everything up again so there can be no actual whirlpooling effect.

OP
Jako

Jako

Reaction score
If you're whirlpooling during the boil then you're just moving the wort around with no effect at all. Convection mixes everything up again so there can be no actual whirlpooling effect.
Sorry u wasn't being too specific. Once I turn the kettle off I allow it to run for a few minutes and start the counter flow chiller it will normally drop 20-30F then i will unhook the whirlpool port and slow the pump and transfer slowly while chilling.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
So you're running a counterflow chiller and recirculating the chilled wort back into the hot kettle? That means the wort is going through cycles of hot-cool-hot-cool which *might* affect proteins in your break. A better method is to transfer directly through the counterflow chiller to a vessel where you can settle out break material, or whirlpool the hot wort to settle out hot break before chilling.

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
MT is cleaned and sanitized after mashing. HLT filled ice and cold water. More ice and water are added to HLT as needed.

I pump the chilled water from the HLT into the counterflow chiller in.

I pump the hot wort from the BK into the counterflow wort in.

Counterflow wort out (now chilled) goes into the clean and sanitized MT.

Counterflow hot water is saved for clean up.

OP
Jako

Jako

Reaction score
So you're running a counterflow chiller and recirculating the chilled wort back into the hot kettle? That means the wort is going through cycles of hot-cool-hot-cool which *might* affect proteins in your break. A better method is to transfer directly through the counterflow chiller to a vessel where you can settle out break material, or whirlpool the hot wort to settle out hot break before chilling.
Good point I didn't think of that. I was thinking of it as a whole and not the wort dropping from boil to 70F back into hot wort.
MT is cleaned and sanitized after mashing. HLT filled ice and cold water. More ice and water are added to HLT as needed.

I pump the chilled water from the HLT into the counterflow chiller in.

I pump the hot wort from the BK into the counterflow wort in.

Counterflow wort out (now chilled) goes into the clean and sanitized MT.

Counterflow hot water is saved for clean up.
Unfortunately I don't have a HLT. I am thinking of making a smaller one for a small sparge.

But I had an idea of using an old cooler in the same way I might do that.

OP
Jako

Jako

Reaction score
I thought about this a ton! And I think you are dead on with not letting it settle out after I chill the beer. I was reading a low oxygen brewing article that talked about trub and fats in the trub.

I also i think this explains my recent two batches that I had go "bad" if I had to explain the flavor it would be meat/goat ish flavors.