Cloudy beer halfway through keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagedavid

Reaction score
I have a strange one. I have a keg of weiss that sits outside and runs through an inline cooler. When I hooked it up I force carbed and was ready to serve in about 5 minutes. The beer is great, but after going through roughly half the keg it started pouring extremely cloudy pints. It almost looked like a glass of suspended yeast and was totally opaque. It still tasted good but looked hideous. I first thought i had reached the bottom of the keg but checked and it was only half way. After pouring about a quart it suddenly cleared up and was fine after that. The only thing I can think was different it that we had a few really hot days in a row (32 degrees +). As mentioned the keg is outdoors in a shaded area, but not otherwise cooled.

The yeast in suspension will settle to the bottom of the keg and form a layer. Usually the first pour sucks up all the yeast near the diptube forming a little well in the layer, and then the beer pours clear until the last pint. It's possible for a little chunk of the yeast cake on the edge of the well to break off and get sucked into the diptube creating a few cloudy pints. This often happens when the keg gets bumped or disturbed.

That's very likely what happened. Thanks! I thought about it and it would actually take very little yeast to cause it.

Back