cloudy beer! argh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppleton

Reaction score
I have brewed a malt extract kit Breakfast Stout. It spent about one week in the primary fermenter. At that point I wanted to use the fermenter again so I racked it to corny kegs. I pumped in a little CO2 into the kegs and let it "condition" at about 65 degrees for about 4 more weeks. I have now put tje two kegs in the kegerator and am starting to force carbonate it. So far what has come out is very cloudy and looks like muddy water. I don't think it tastes too bad but it is really, really murky stuff. the kegerator temp is set in the mid to upper 40s.

I think next time I will try to use irish moss or something as well as crash chill it - neither of which I did.

My question is whether there is anything I can do about the cloudy beer now. Could I use a cartridge filter system to strain the beer from one keg to another? Will carbonation clear the beer up a bit? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

I would guess that you needed to let the beer sit in primary for a bit longer. I usually let all my beers primary for 3 weeks. Then bottle/keg. You essentially "secondaried" (are these even words?) in your keg. You probably have some sediment in the keg. It should clear in a few more pints.

What gravity did you start with? What yeast?

I am guessing the dip tube is just picking up all the trub in the bottom of the keg. One week is pretty short for primary, so there is bound to be a lot of sediment in the keg. Couple more pints, and you should be in the clear. Sounds like you need another primary and some patience ;).

I think you may be right. It does seem like I'm just picking up a lot of sediment. If that's the case then I'll drain off a few pints and see if it clears up. Next time I'm either going to wait longer or rack to secondaries for a little while if I want to use my primary.

I'd agree with the others interpertation of Trub pickup in Keg due to fall out.

I had my first in primary 7 day's, 17days in secondary, it still had fall out from crash cooling in Kegerator. I'm down to 3/4 full now and it's cleared up DRAMATICALLY from the first pull of the tap.
Let it sit for another week and then try.

hadn't thought of that. I have an extra drip tube that I could shorten and use. thanks for all the replies..

Latest posts

Back